Fork of Android SimpleBluetoothLeTerminal supporting ESP32 ble_spp_server_demo

BrianP

Fork of Android SimpleBluetoothLeTerminal supporting ESP32 ble_spp_server_demo

Postby BrianP » Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:55 pm

I thought people might be interested in this fork of the Android app SimpleBluetoothLeTerminal. https://github.com/BrianAtDocumentedDes ... LeTerminal

It allows you to interact with the ESP32 ble_spp_server_demo. I came across the original because I was looking for open source sample BLE applications which I could easily modify for my own app. The program is pretty straightforward so decided to modify it to support the ESP32 BLE software.

Note that the ble_spp_server_demo does not support flow control ("credits") so instead of adding that to the ESP32 code I simply set

writeCredits = Integer.MAX_VALUE;

as a bit of a kludge. I will eventually fix that in my ESP32 code and update the SimpleBluetoothLeTerminal code accordingly.

It should be simple to extract the relevant classes from SimpleBluetoothLeTerminal to create an ESP32 BLE library which allows an application to scan, connect, and exchange data with an ESP32. That is what I am working on at the moment.

bobolink

Re: Fork of Android SimpleBluetoothLeTerminal supporting ESP32 ble_spp_server_demo

Postby bobolink » Thu Oct 07, 2021 10:16 pm

Thanks for this.
I had never done any Android development. Downloaded Android Studio for Linux and after a couple of trips to Stack Exchange, I was debugging on an old Pixel 3.
Please update us with your progress on the ESP32 side.