From WiFi to Cellular 4G

RoverDog

From WiFi to Cellular 4G

Postby RoverDog » Fri Aug 30, 2019 3:58 am

Hi all,
I have built a project utilizing Wifi on the ESP32 module. Using RTOS I am running a web server on 1 core and a web client on another core. This works very well and I can access the web server remotely via my browser and the WiFi IP address. The Web client reads some sensors and sends the data via WiFi to my database. All good.

Now I need to do the next step and move beyond the reach of the WiFi and reproduce the same result via 4G cellular. I looked at the "easy" solution to use an industrial 4G/WiFi router and simply keep what I have. Cost of these "industrial" type routers are on the hi side, where as 4G module which also include a GPS chip are around half that. Problem is that I cannot get my head around how I will "replace" my current WiFi functionality with one of these modules. The modules seems to expect you to connect via serial (rs232) and using modem AT commands establish a connection to the internet. Question is, after connecting to the internet, how do you continue to have "network functionality" same as with the built-in WiFi? Is there some library that will do ethernet over the serial port? Can I still have the Wifi and the serial ethernet running at the same time?

Thanks!

RoverDog

Re: From WiFi to Cellular 4G

Postby RoverDog » Sun Sep 01, 2019 6:53 am

To answer myself, I came across this : https://github.com/espressif/arduino-es ... pp/pppos.h

So it is possible to use PPPos (PPP over serial) in the Arduino environment since it is implemented. Now if anybody can point to to an example on how to use it.... please :) :cry:

RoverDog

Postby RoverDog » Mon Sep 02, 2019 3:34 am

Answering myself again. Made some progress!

There are GSM libraries in the Arduino IDE, some of them actually support PPPos functionality. There are even sample code under examples, INCOMPATIBLE, GSM, and yes, there seems to be compiler problems like :"fatal error: avr/pgmspace.h: No such file or directory #include <avr/pgmspace.h>" :cry:
There are a few links from the library page to their websites, but I haven't had any time to explore yet. Think it is time to order a 4g/IoT GSM shield... :idea:

Lagunax

Postby Lagunax » Fri Oct 25, 2019 4:48 am

https://github.com/espressif/arduino-es ... pgmspace.h
it mast be in core of arduino-esp32

Lagunax

Postby Lagunax » Fri Oct 25, 2019 4:49 am

chnge to
#include <pgmspace.h>
without avr/

leenowell

Postby leenowell » Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:03 pm

Hi

Just came across this. Which module did you buy and did you get this working? I have a SIM800L but that seems to only cater for 2G. Have been looking for a 4G module but no success yet. Also, were the AT commands proprietary for your module?

Thanks

Lee.

rishad

Postby rishad » Tue Mar 03, 2020 1:30 pm

Hello,
Did any of you make any progress on this? I am also looking to add a cellular module to the ESP32 but I cannot use SIM800L because of 2G support only.
I have come accross this SIM7000E module https://www.amazon.co.uk/SIM7000E-GPRS- ... B07D436C5Y
but I'm not sure whether this will work or not. Can someone share some examples for this or any other board that would work with ESP32.
Thank you
Rishad