Possible to have esptool.py beep when ready to flash?

wrybread

Possible to have esptool.py beep when ready to flash?

Postby wrybread » Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:28 pm

I'm using an ESP32 dev board that requires pressing the boot button to flash it. The compile time in the Arduino IDE takes almost a minute, so I have to sit and watch the progress so I can press the boot button at the appropriate time.

It would be really nice if I could hear a beep when it's ready for me to press it.

I'm using Windows 7, and have Python installed and use it all the time. I tried modifying this esptool.py:

C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\esp8266\hardware\esp8266\2.5.2\tools\esptool\esptool.py

But apparently it's not using that version since my changes have no effect. I'm guessing it's using the packaged esptool.exe at C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\esp32\tools\esptool_py\2.6.1

Is there some way to force it to use the .py version?

Or some other clever way to make the IDE beep when it's ready to flash?

pipi61

Re: Possible to have esptool.py beep when ready to flash?

Postby pipi61 » Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:58 pm

Use USB serial konverter with rx/tx rts, dtr output. Then esptool automatic switch flash prg mode to module.
https://github.com/espressif/esptool/wi ... -Selection

wrybread

Re: Possible to have esptool.py beep when ready to flash?

Postby wrybread » Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:46 am

Thanks for that, very interesting.

I'm still hoping to be able to use a custom version of esptool.py (instead of the packaged exe)... Or I guess could package it with PyInstaller?

Or isn't there some way to edit the command that the Arduino IDE sends to esptool?