OLIMEX ESP32-EVB-EA won't boot when powered by 5V

GeorgeFlorian1

OLIMEX ESP32-EVB-EA won't boot when powered by 5V

Postby GeorgeFlorian1 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:22 am

Board: ESP32-EVB-EA Rev.H
Platform: PlatformIO Core 4.2.1

The circuit above is composed of a 220V to 12V PSU and a 12V to 5V switching power supply The measured output is ~5V.

I've connected the ESP to a 5V power source. If I boot up the ESP without connecting it to a micro-USB it won't boot up unless I hit RESET.

If I'm also connecting a micro-USB to the ESP it will log some gibberish and then it will work normally.

Code: Select all

��␛��␃�'�$$'��␇�␛'''␄�$$$�␄$ ␃#�$����␄␄#��$$$$�$�␄$d ␃#�$���␛␜␀␄#��$$$��$�␄l$ ␃����'�␛'��␟��'��␛'8|�␃␃#�����␀����<�;␛�''8␂;;'#$�␄$���|�#␄␄␄$#���␜␛$␛$␛␛�␛� ␃���'�␛'��␟��'��␛'8<�␃␃#�����␀�����<�;␒�''8␃;;'#$�␄$���<�#␄�␄$#�␛���;␛���Ó ␃␃����'�␂$␄$#��'''�␎�␛''�␄�'���␜␛'##␇$␃Ã��'�␃�␄$#��'''�␇�␛''�␄�'���␜␛'##␇$����'�␛'��␟��'��␛'8<�␃␂#�����␀�����<�;␛�''8␃;;n#$�␄$���<�#␌$�$#�␛����␓$$␇�$$$�␇��ؐ␇$����'�␛'��␟��'��␛'8<�␃␃#�$�␜�␃�����<�;␛�''8␃;;o#$�␄������'g␟␀�␄$␄$#�$$�␃�␛�$�<�� ␃␃����'�␃�␄$#��'''�␇�␛''�␄�'���␜␛'##␇$␃����'�␃␄�$#��'''�␇�␛o'�␄�'���␜␛'##␇$����'�␛'��␟��'��␛'8<�␃␃#�����␀�����<�;␛�''8␃;;'#$�␄$���<�b␄$�$#�␛����␛$$␇�$$$�␇�ې�␇$����'�␛'��␟��'��␛'8<�␃␃#�$�␜�␃��ܞ�<�;␛�''8␃;;'#$�␄������g'␟␀�␄$␄$#�$$�␃�␛�$�<��`␃␃����'�␃$�$#��'''�␇�␛''�␄�'���␜␛'##␇$␃����'�␃��$#��'''�␇�␛''�␄�'��␜␛'##␇$����'�␛'��␟��'��␛'8<�␃␃#�����␀�ۜ��<�;␛�''8␃{;'#$�␄$���<�#␄$�$#�␛����␛$$␇�$$$�␇Û��␇$����'�␛'��␟��'��␛'8<�␃␃#�$�␜�␃�ۜ��<�;␛�''8␃{;'#$�␄������''␟␀�␄$␄$#�d$�␃�␛�$�<Ó ␃␃����'�␃��$#��'''�␇�␛o'�␄�'���␜␛g##␇$␃����g�␃␄␄$#��'''�␇�␛''�␄�'���␜␛'##␇$����'�␛'��␟��'��␛'8<�␃␃#�����␀�����<�;␛�''8␃;;'#$�␄$���<�#␄$�$#�␛����␛$d␇�$$$�␇����␇$����'�␛'��␟��'��␛'8<�␃␃#�$�␜�␃�����<�;␛�''8␃;;'#$�␄������''␟␀�␄$␄$#�$$�␃�␛�$�<�� ␃␃����'�␃$␄$#��'''�␇�␒''�␄�'���␜␛'##␇$␃��ے'�␃$␄␄$#��'''�␇�␛''�␄�'���␜␛'##␇$���'�␛'��␟��'��␛'8<�␃␃#�����␀�����<�;␓�''8␃;;'#$�␄$���<�#␄$�$c�␛����␛$$␇�d$$�␇����␇$����'�␛'��␟��'��␛'8<�␃␃#�$�␜�␃�����<�;␛�''8␃;;'#$�␄������''␟␀�␄$␄$#�$$�␃�␛�$�<�� ␃␃����'�␃$$␄$#��'''�␇�␛''�␄�g���␜␛'##␇$␃����'�␃$�␄$#��'''�␇�␛''�␄�'���␜␛o##␇$����'�␛o��␟��'��␛'8<�␃␃#�����␀�����<�;␛�''8␃;;'#$�␄$���<�#␄$�$#�␛����␛$$␇�$$$�␇����␇$����'�␛o��␟��'��␛'8<�␃␃#�$�␜�␃�����<�;␛�''8␃;;'#$�␄������''␟␀�␄$␄$#�$$�␃�␛�$�<�� ␃␃����'�␃$�␄$#��''n�␇�␛''�␄�'���␜␛'##␇$␃����'�␃$␄�$#��'''�␇�␛''�␄�'���␜␛g##␇$����'�␛'��␟��'��␛'8<�␃␃c�����␀�����|�;␛�''8␃;;'b$�␄$���<�#␄l�$#�␛����␛$$␇�$$$�␇����␏$����'�␛'��␟��'��␛'8<�␃␃c�$�␜�␃�����|�;␛�''8␃;;'c$�␄������''␟␀�␄$␄$#�$$�␃�␛�$�<�� ␃␃����'�␃$$�$#��'''�␇�␛''�␄�'���␜␛'##␇$␃����'�␃$��$#��'''�␇�␛''�␄�'���␜␛'##␇$�Ó�'�␛'��␟��'�␛'8<�␃␃#����␀�����<�;␛�''8␃;;'#$�␄d���<�#␄$�$#�␛����␛$$␇�$l$�␇����␇$����'�␛'��␟��'�␛'8<�␃␃#�$�␜�␃�����<�;␛�''8␃;;'#$�␄������''␟␀�␄$␄$#�$$�␃�␛�$�<�� ␃␃����'�␃$��$#��'o'�␇�␛''�␄�g���␜␛'##␇$␃����'�␃$␄␄$#��'''�␇�␛''�␄�'���␜␛o##␇$����'�␛'��␟��'��␛'8<�␃␃#�����␀�����<�r␛�''8␃;;'#$�␄$���<�#␄$�$#�␛����␛$$␇�$$$�␇����␇$����'�␛'��␟��'��␛'8<�␃␃#�$�␜�␃�����<�r␛�''8␃;;'#$�␄������''␟␀�␄$␄$#�$$�␃�␛�$�<�� ␃␃����'�␃$$␄$#��''n�␇�␛''�␄�'���␜␛'##␇$␃����'�␃�␄␄$#��'''�␇�␛''�␄�'���␜␛'##␎$ $$#��'�8�␃�''�$;;�;r␃������'��;␃�$����'<'␃$␄␄�<�␛''�$�␛␛''###␇$␇�''�<?�''��␃���p�'��;�␛#�␃$''$���;�'g�<␀$$ ␃���'�␛'��␟��'��␛'8<�␃␃#�����␀�����<�;␛�''8␃;;'#$�␄$���<�#␄$�$#�␛����␛$$␇�l$$�␇����␇$����'�␛'��␟��'��␛'8<�␃␃#�$�␜�␃�����<�;␛�''8␃;;'#$�␄������''␟␀�␄$␄$#�$$�␃�␒�$�<�� ␃����'�␛'��␟��'��␛'8<�␃␃#�����␀�����<�;␛�''8␃;;'#$�␄$���<�#␄$�$#�␛����␛$$␇�$$$�␇����␇$����'�␛'��␟��'��␛'8<�␃␃#�$�␜�␃�����<�;␛�''8␃;;'#$�␄������''␟␀�␄$␄$#�$$�␃�␛�$�<�� ␃����'�␛'��␟��'��␛'8<�␃␃#�����␀�����<�;␛�''8␃;;'#$�␄l���<�#␄$�$#�␛����␛$$␇�$$$�␇����␇$����'�␛'��␟��'��␛'8<�␃␃#�$�␜�␃�����<�;␛�''8␃;;'#$�␄������''␟␀�␄d␄$#�$$�␃�␛�$�<�� ␃
rst:0xc (SW_CPU_RESET),boot:0x1b (SPI_FAST_FLASH_BOOT)
configsip: 0, SPIWP:0xee
clk_drv:0x00,q_drv:0x00,d_drv:0x00,cs0_drv:0x00,hd_drv:0x00,wp_drv:0x00
mode:DIO, clock div:1
load:0x3fff0018,len:4
load:0x3fff001c,len:1216
ho 0 tail 12 room 4
load:0x40078000,len:9720
ho 0 tail 12 room 4
load:0x40080400,len:6352
entry 0x400806b8
[D][WiFiGeneric.cpp:337] _eventCallback(): Event: 0 - WIFI_READY
[D][WiFiGeneric.cpp:337] _eventCallback(): Event: 2 - STA_START
If I power up the ESP using ONLY the micro-USB it still outputs the gibberish in the beginning but it then works as it should be.

That same Power Supply works for all of my other ESP32-EVB. This is the only board that doesn't boot from 5V.

My other ESP EVB work just fine; both Rev F and Rev H. Only this particular Rev H doesn't boot.

Did I do something to the board ? Is it in some sort of boot loop or something ? If this is my mistake I would like to identify it and fix it before I damage other boards.