A fatal error occurred: Failed to connect to ESP32: Timed out waiting for packet header

kolban

Re: A fatal error occurred: Failed to connect to ESP32: Timed out waiting for packet header

Postby kolban » Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:02 pm

My opinion is "yes". I use Windows 10 as my desktop OS but use VirtualBox running Ubuntu for all development for ESP32. In addition, I am of the opinion that platformio isn't ready yet for GOOD ESP-IDF platform development and am trying to see if that community is willing to work with the ESP32 community to polish some edges.
Free book on ESP32 available here: https://leanpub.com/kolban-ESP32

lanegg

Re: A fatal error occurred: Failed to connect to ESP32: Timed out waiting for packet header

Postby lanegg » Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:32 pm

I manage to upload using platformIO.
Cool.
Do you think is better to install a linux VM to use the esp32?
If you are doing C/C++ then, yeah, I think a *NIX environment is better assuming you know *NIX. If you are doing Arduino IDE work then I think Windows is slightly better. I think the difference is fairly nominal either way, though. I have seen some screen shots from the IDF team that shows they, or at least some of them, run Windows as their primary OS.

In the end it all comes down to your familiarity and comfort level. Personally, I prefer the Ubuntu VM.

ICDUSW

Postby ICDUSW » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:30 am

Hi,
i experimented same issue and i finally found a way ....

when you click on "upload sketch" in arduino IDE, you see the sktech being recompiled , relinked and then uploaded
before upload phase starts, say during compilation stage, hold the "EN" button of the board which maintains the board in reset state
then push and maintain pushed the "BOOT" button
when you see that arduino IDE has started the upload stage (esptool bla bla bla.....), release the EN button and then after a short delay release the BOOT button

Cheers
pm

zorglub76

Postby zorglub76 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:27 pm

I had this problem with PlatformIO on Win10, and ICDUSW's method solved it.
However, I'm not able to access the board with serial monitor...

karansoi

Postby karansoi » Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:44 am

Hi guys,
I had the same problem, was getting a failed upload ........ fatal error....... waiting for packet header.
I have a Lolin D32 board that has only a reset button. It is designed to automatically upload code by Holding the GPIO0 pin low.
I tried it by holding reset button during compile and released it on beginning of upload (Using Arduino IDE). It worked sometimes once in every five to ten attempts.
Then a solution was posted on RandomNerd Tutorials suggesting to put a capacitor 10 MFD 16 V from EN to ground. This also did not meet success with my board.
Then on the github page in the Arduino- ESP32 repository one line at the end mentioned that in some boards GPIO0 must be held low during the upload process.
I connect a wire with a F-F wire between GPIO0 and ground while the code is compiling. It uploads every time. This connect is removed after upload.
Thought I’d share for benefit of others

jcalmenson

Postby jcalmenson » Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:25 pm

Karensoi -

My company is looking to use the LOLIN D32 board for a new project. I was wondering if you or anyone you know would be able to help us with application dev and integration of 5.6" TFT with capacitive touch screen. Thank you.
Jarret Calmenson
jarret@loyaltykiosk.com