Trouble programing esp32-C3-DevkitC-02 through external pins

aleskramzar

Trouble programing esp32-C3-DevkitC-02 through external pins

Postby aleskramzar » Wed Jul 14, 2021 1:14 pm

Hello,

I would like to request some help regarding the programing of the ESP32-C3 devkitC 02. I tried to program it through the integrated USB port using Arduino IDE with the folowing setings:

Board library version: 2.00-alpha1
Board: "ESP32C3 DevModule"
upload speed: 115200
PORT: COM8

It worked and uploaded normally as expected. but when i tried to connect it through an external USB programing device i encountered an issue and the program wont upload.
I am using a 100% working 3rd party USB programer that i use to sucessfully program my esp8266 wroom 02. I connected to it through PORT COM6 and if i hold the BOOT button and press the reset button on the ESP i get a sucessfull message in the serial terminal, that tells me the ESP is in download mode. i am also using an emptie arduino sketch to test this.
the message i get in the terminal when holding boot and reset button:

ESP-ROM:esp32c3-april-20210207
Build:Feb 7 2021
rst 0x1 (POWERON),boot:0x04 (DOWNLOAD(USB/UART0/1))
waiting for download

but when i press upload it gets to "connecting ......____....___ " and then it throws an error:
"A fatal error occured: Failed to connect to ESP32-C3: Timed out waiting for packet header"

During programing i hold boot button, press RST button, and then release both buttons (i have also tried every other combination of these)
I know that to upload a program the chip has to be in downlaod mode and it uses an auto programer that pulls down the CHIP_EN and strapping pins to do so as specified in: https://www.espressif.com/sites/default ... eet_en.pdf
tHE RST buttom pulls down EN pin to 0V and the BOOT pin pulls down GPIO9 TO 0V. GPIO8 is 3.3v

my current circuit is:
programer ESP32 DEVKIT
3.3V --> 3.3V
RX --> TX
TX ---> RX
gnd ---> gnd

I am out of ideas on what could be wrong with my current setup. from my understanding this is the current way to upload a sketch to the ESP. has anyone had any success with this ESP32-C3 ? i also have some ESP-32-C3-WROOM-02 chips which i also dont have sucess with. I also tried with pulling gpio10 to 0V and gpio2 to Vdd with same results.

Anyone got this sucessfuly to work? could it be the arduino IDE thats also the problem? Any help would be greatfully aprechiated. the esp32-c3 is a new chip and seems there is not that much information about it. if any further information is required i will post it. thank you

ESP_Sprite

Re: Trouble programing esp32-C3-DevkitC-02 through external pins

Postby ESP_Sprite » Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:16 am

The C3 also still is connected to the on-board USB-to-serial converter, which likely messes with the signal from your external programmer. Removing R21 may fix that (it disconnects that pin from the CP2102)

aleskramzar

Re: Trouble programing esp32-C3-DevkitC-02 through external pins

Postby aleskramzar » Thu Jul 15, 2021 9:35 am

Yes that was exactly what was the problem, thank you!