Debug while on external power souce

fdonat

Debug while on external power souce

Postby fdonat » Tue Feb 13, 2024 9:58 am

Hi guys,
i have started migrating some of my projects from arduino to ESP and everything is great so far, there is just one thing i didnt manage to solve yet.
My project is using the devboard and I am trying to debug using the built in usb port, but it has an external power source (LM2596 on the 5V port).
According to the documentation, i understand I can´t connect my USB cable while using this power source, but the issue is that the power source is welded to the PCB, so i cant just disconnect it.
The first solution i found is to wire TX/RX/GND and use it to debug, but it is not a great solution really, because if i try to update the code during debugging i need to break everything again, change cables, turn off the board, and is not as smooth as i wish it was.

Can someone please help me out to find a way to use the usb port for debugging?

thanks! :D

lbernstone

Re: Debug while on external power souce

Postby lbernstone » Tue Feb 13, 2024 9:55 pm

Use a separate uart->usb adapter (https://www.amazon.com/HiLetgo-CP2102-C ... 00LODGRV8/) or make a usb cable without power.
As long as you have stable power sources, it shouldn't hurt anything to have 5V running from both sources.

fdonat

Postby fdonat » Wed Feb 14, 2024 4:32 pm

thanks, i have one of those, but as i am using a display on the TX/RX, the idea to remove power from the usb cable is more suitable to me, thanks!
anyway, would there be a way to make it via components on the board? maybe a diode on the vin?
my main concern is actually damage the computer, of course..

lbernstone

Postby lbernstone » Fri Feb 16, 2024 6:18 am

Yeah, a low voltage drop schottky diode should work if this is not intended to be a primary mechanism and you want to be confident nothing can damage the computer.