WiFi.Begin does not accept specified BSSID for Access Point when connecting to WPA2 Enterprise Network

MrSwirlyPants

WiFi.Begin does not accept specified BSSID for Access Point when connecting to WPA2 Enterprise Network

Postby MrSwirlyPants » Sat Mar 16, 2024 1:21 pm

Dear all,

My intention is to connect my ESP32 to the strongest AP available in a WPA2 Enterprise network. I have the luxury to test my code as well in a WPA2-PSK version of the same network, however this is only possible for test purposes. A few observations:

Examples | WiFi | WiFiScan works and shows all available AP's, with RSSI
Examples | WiFi | WiFiClient works with WPA2-PSK and connects
Examples | WiFi | WiFiClientEnterprise works with WPA2-Enterprise and connects

Thanks to several forumposts around the internet I have the code as shown below. It searches for the strongest AP and tells WiFi.begin to connect to the AP with the BSSID belonging to the strongest AP.

If I run the code for the WPA2-PSK network, it does exactly as specified: it shows the BSSID of the AP I'm connected to, and it corresponds to the strongest from the list shown by the scan of the AP's.

If I run the code for the WPA2-Enterprise network, it takes a bit longer to connect, but IT NEVER CONNECTS TO THE SPECIFIED BSSID. I almost always get a connection to an AP with lower RSSI.

In the code I have specified where a line should be commented / uncommented to connect to either a regular network or an enterprise network.

I have searched several forums but I can't seem to find anyone mentioning this exact problem. Could this be something in the code supplied by "esp_wpa2.h", or could this be something in the network I'm trying to connect to - though I can't fathom what.

Thank you for reading and much obliged for any help anyone can offer, even if it's just reproducing the problem.

With kind regards,

Swirly

Code: Select all

#include "WiFi.h"
#include "esp_wpa2.h"

const char* ssid     = "********"; // Change this to your WiFi SSID
const char* username = "********"; // Change this to your WiFi username, if needed for WPA2 enterprise
const char* password = "********"; // Change this to your WiFi password

void setup()
{
  Serial.begin(115200);
  while(!Serial){delay(100);}
  Serial.println("Connecting to WiFi");

WiFi.persistent(false); //Avoid to store Wifi configuration in Flash
  WiFi.mode(WIFI_STA);
  WiFi.disconnect(); // delete old config
  delay(100);

int i_strongest = -1;
  int32_t rssi_strongest = -100;
  Serial.printf("Start scanning for SSID %s\r\n", ssid);

int n = WiFi.scanNetworks(); // WiFi.scanNetworks will return the number of networks found
  Serial.println("Scan done.");

if (n == 0)
  {
    Serial.println("No networks found!");  
  }
  else
  {
    Serial.printf("%d networks found:\n", n);
    for (int i = 0; i < n; ++i)
    {
      // Print SSID and RSSI for each network found
      Serial.printf("%d: BSSID: %s  %2ddBm, %3d%%  %9s  %s\r\n", i, WiFi.BSSIDstr(i).c_str(), WiFi.RSSI(i), constrain(2 * (WiFi.RSSI(i) + 100), 0, 100), (WiFi.encryptionType(i) == WIFI_AUTH_OPEN) ? "open" : "encrypted", WiFi.SSID(i).c_str());
      if ((String(ssid) == String(WiFi.SSID(i)) && (WiFi.RSSI(i)) > rssi_strongest))
      {
        rssi_strongest = WiFi.RSSI(i);
        i_strongest = i;
      }
    }
  }

if (i_strongest < 0)
  {
    Serial.printf("No network with SSID %s found!\r\n", ssid);
  }
  Serial.printf("SSID match found at %d. Connecting...\r\n", i_strongest);

WiFi.mode(WIFI_STA);
  WiFi.disconnect();
  delay(100);

//Select this line to make connection to WPA2 enterprise network
  WiFi.begin(ssid, WPA2_AUTH_PEAP, username, username, password,NULL,NULL,NULL,0,WiFi.BSSID(i_strongest),true);

//Select this line to make connection to WPA2 personal network / regular wifi network
  //WiFi.begin(ssid,password,0,WiFi.BSSID(i_strongest),true);
  while (WiFi.status() != WL_CONNECTED)
  {
    Serial.print(".");
    delay(100);
  }

Serial.println(" connected!");
  Serial.print("BSSID: ");
  Serial.println(WiFi.BSSIDstr());
  Serial.print("RSSI: ");
  Serial.println(WiFi.RSSI());
  Serial.println(WiFi.localIP()); //print LAN IP