ESP32S3 - What is the FSPIWP\FSPIDQS pin and how do you configure it

StuartsProjects

ESP32S3 - What is the FSPIWP\FSPIDQS pin and how do you configure it

Postby StuartsProjects » Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:58 am

Apologies, I should have pasted this question in here rather than in General.

Using the Arduino IDE 1.8.19 with 2.0.13 ESP32 Core.

I was trying some code for a LoRa device and had been using the FSPIWP\FSPIDQS pin to drive a device TX_Enable pin. This caused lots of problems, maybe to be expected.

I had not come across a FSPIWP\FSPIDQS pin (GPIO14) on an SPI bus before, and although its mentioned in the ESP32S3 datasheet I cannot seem to find an expalanation of what its for.

If your using SPI do you have to leave the FSPIWP\FSPIDQS pin unused, this does appear to be the case ?

In Arduino IDE you can specify the SPI pins with SPI.begin(SCK, MISO, MOSI); or SPI.begin(SCK, MISO, MOSI, NSS); but how can you specify the FSPIWP\FSPIDQS to another pin ?

lbernstone

Re: ESP32S3 - What is the FSPIWP\FSPIDQS pin and how do you configure it

Postby lbernstone » Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:55 pm

Those pins are for extra data lanes that would be used in Quad SPI. QSPI is not currently supported in arduino, so can only be enable using the ESP-IDF drivers.
If you aren't using those pins for QSPI, you should be able to use them for whatever you would like. Perhaps your board is using gpio 14 for something else, or has additional hardware connected to it.

StuartsProjects

Re: ESP32S3 - What is the FSPIWP\FSPIDQS pin and how do you configure it

Postby StuartsProjects » Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:26 pm

Thanks for the reply, very helpful.

If the Quad SPI is not supported by the Arduino IDE, then I need to check further, as that pin (GPIO14) should be available for use.