Esp32 projects with MS Visual Studio

Deouss

Esp32 projects with MS Visual Studio

Postby Deouss » Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:45 am

Hello. I just bought bunch of great boards like Geekworm, DevkitC, Lolin and want to do advanced projects under VS.
Has anyone tried working with VS IDE? PlatformIO is ok however it lacks many many development features like seeing all global functions easily. I am new to Esp world but got hyped with Arduino stuff)
Also looking for materials especially for drone control and pwm. Thanks!
Cheers ;)

Deouss

Re: Esp32 projects with MS Visual Studio

Postby Deouss » Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:19 pm

Lately I found VsMicro extension for Visual Studio and I must say it is incredible.
It is called Arduino for VS. Beats easily PlatformIO, ArduinoIDE and VS Code.
Has full intellisense, compilation logs, full debugging, amazing serial monitor, easy board/com selector and works great with git.
Also noticed compiling is very fast and shows errors and warnings on the fly when you write code and make small syntax mistake.
Arduino projects are loaded fine but some external files are not remembered on tabs.
There are projects possible without Arduino IDE integration but I haven't tried them yet.

luisonoff

Postby luisonoff » Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:31 pm

Thanks for this info.

But this has to be used with Microsoft Visual Studio right? Which needs an expensive license, doesn't it?
On the other side Visual Studio Code seems free...

I am right now an user of Eclipse, but I am considering changing to a newer IDE... and I need it for comercial purpouses, not just hobby.

Deouss

Postby Deouss » Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:35 pm

luisonoff wrote:Thanks for this info.

But this has to be used with Microsoft Visual Studio right? Which needs an expensive license, doesn't it?
On the other side Visual Studio Code seems free...

I am right now an user of Eclipse, but I am considering changing to a newer IDE... and I need it for comercial purpouses, not just hobby.
Nope - no license. Just download VS Community Edition 2017 Free and install extension. Works like a charm.
VS Code is very messy and inconvenient. You cannot compare the comfort of work with VS