esptool reset after upload

bobtidey

esptool reset after upload

Postby bobtidey » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:17 pm

I can successfully upload code to my Wroom-32 modules using windows arduino environment. The upload is automatic based on using DTR to activate upload mode and reset the chip. As I don't have RTS available I must then separately reset the module to run the code.

The esptool.py version of the tool seems to indicate that there is a possibility of using soft_reset rather than the hard_reset (DTR / RTS) method which is passed as an --after parameter into esptool.

I want to try this to see if it works but I can't see how to persuade the arduino environment to run the tool with the soft_reset method.

The boards definition doesn't seem to have anything in about that and I also tried setting the environment variable ESPTOOL_AFTER to soft_reset without success.

Is there some method to do this?

ESP_Angus

Re: esptool reset after upload

Postby ESP_Angus » Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:02 am

Hi Bob,

I don't know the answer about Arduino. However, unfortunately, I can tell you that "--after soft_reset" is only supported on ESP8266:
https://github.com/espressif/esptool/wi ... -operation

There are some peculiarities of the ESP32 ROM code which makes this very hard to do on ESP32.

ESP_Angus

Postby ESP_Angus » Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:03 am

Turns out I do know the answer for Arduino (searched for "--after" in the arduino-esp32 repo on github).

It's set in platform.txt:
https://github.com/espressif/arduino-es ... rm.txt#L99

All the same, though: soft_reset won't work for ESP32. Sorry.

bobtidey

Postby bobtidey » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:40 am

Thanks. I thought I'd searched for references to --after but somehow missed the one in platforms.txt

I'd seen the comments about not supported in the esptool code but it was a bit ambiguous which is why I had wanted to try it.

I guess I can either live with it (no big deal) or hack a rts connection.