Bluetooth between two ESP32

alwurts

Bluetooth between two ESP32

Postby alwurts » Sat Jun 30, 2018 3:13 pm

Hi everyone.

Im trying to establish a two way bluetooth communication between two ESP32's.
The communication will be used in a arduino robotics project where one device will be the brain of a car robot and the other device will be the controller with a joystick attached to it.
From what i understand BLE might work and i have to set one device as server and the other as client, but i don't understand how the data can be transmitted in a two way manner from both devices.
Also i don't know if the BLE connection is good enough for a robotics project since the description of BLE says its not made for continuos data transfers, what i need to transmit between the two of them is a speed value for a motor and a angle value for a servo motor as fast as possible.
If anyone has any insight into this, or if someone has managed to connect two ESP32 please let me know, any information on the subject would be greatly appreciated.

kolban

Re: Bluetooth between two ESP32

Postby kolban » Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:07 pm

You are likely going to want to use WiFi as the networking layer in your project with one ESP32 acting as an access point and the other as a station. While WiFi consumes more power, you will likely find TCP programming easier and more reliable. In addition, you should get better range with WiFi.
Free book on ESP32 available here: https://leanpub.com/kolban-ESP32

chegewara

Postby chegewara » Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:29 pm

If you dont mind short distance, about 10 m, then ble is good enough for your project. You will send pretty low amount of data and delay can be as low as 20-50 ms or even less.

alwurts

Postby alwurts » Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:56 am

Thank you for your answers, after reviewing them i'm going to go for the Wi-Fi implementation since i need the connection delay to be as low as possible and also as kolban mentioned i might get better range for the project.