OTA Does not seem to work if you use AP or Repeater

toogooda

OTA Does not seem to work if you use AP or Repeater

Postby toogooda » Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:21 am

Hi I and a friend of mine have the same issue. OTABasic.ino works perfectly when the IDE and the ESP are on the same AP but with these boards beinf outside in more remote conditions we are using either a second AP on the same network or a Wifi repeater/extender. When we do this the IDE sinding on the desktop can no longer see the device for downloading to and cannot pind ts address.
The device however is still able to send and recieve MQTT messages to the mosquito server on a RPi which is connected to the same AP as the desktop.If I take a laptop in range of the remote AP and connect it works again.
I sent debugs using MQTT and seems like the ESP has not errored when seting up and waiting for programing. So I think It may be just not visible from the Master AP.
Any ideas? :?:

fly135

Re: OTA Does not seem to work if you use AP or Repeater

Postby fly135 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:32 pm

Any time you cross subnets you need gateways and routing. Without knowing what your IP subnets and gateways are from one end to the other it's normally hard to know where the issue lies. Except..... I did a little googling on Arduino and OTA. It appears that the name of your ESP32 is broadcast over the network for the Arduino IDE to discover. That sort of thing only works on local subnets. So it's entirely predictable that you are experiencing this problem.

John A

toogooda

Postby toogooda » Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:11 pm

Thanks, that has given me a starting point I will post back if I work out how.

Cheers

ESP_Sprite

Postby ESP_Sprite » Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:35 am

Moving this to the Arduino subforum, as it's specific to the Arduino OTA method.