Question regarding developing in Eclipse

Rick1997

Question regarding developing in Eclipse

Postby Rick1997 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:10 am

So I followed this tutorial on how to develop in Eclipse but I still have some questions.

For some reason I am not getting suggestions when I start typing. Pressing ctrl + space doesn't make them appear either. They do work when I'm writing normal C programs.

Another thing I was wondering is if there is an easier way of setting up a project for the ESP32. Do I have to go through the steps in that video every time I create a project? This is quite tedious if I wanted to try various small programs.

Finally, my Eclipse looks slightly different than in the video. I don't have the option 'Build Targets', it shows 'Make Targets' instead. It's also not listed in the project explorer. For me it's on the right side as its own tab. It still works fine but I was wondering why this is different. I'm on a windows 10 machine if it matters.

I would appreciate any help I can get.

countxerox

Re: Question regarding developing in Eclipse

Postby countxerox » Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:32 pm

Hi Rick,

There's more info on setting up Eclipse in the ESP-IDF Programming Guide http://esp-idf.readthedocs.io/en/latest ... setup.html, I followed those instructions before I found the video which got me up and running.

With those settings auto-complete works for me, I'm very new to this and I didn't realise there was an auto-complete until I saw your question, so thanks! :)

I've been putting all my programs in the same project, I have the same main.c file, when I want to start something new I just add another source file. The first time it worked, I was so shocked I'd done it, I didn't want to risk changing anything that might end the party. What would be the advantage of creating separate projects?

Thanks
Rob

Rick1997

Postby Rick1997 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:53 am

I forgot to mention that I also followed that guide along with the video. I managed to get autocomplete to work by updating Eclipse.

For now I'm also creating new source files for different programs but I thought that having a project for each different thing I want to try looks cleaner.

pcbreflux

Postby pcbreflux » Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:39 pm

I start a new project in some seconds like this:

1. copy some similar start code to a new path
2. New "Makefile project with Existing code" in eclipse
3. open project properties
4. go to C/C++ General -> Path and Symbols -> Gnu C -> Import Settings
File like https://github.com/pcbreflux/espressif/ ... nclude.xml
5. like Step 3 and 4 but edit first Line to fit your project i.e. Workspace
6. "Move Up" last to first line again
7. enjoy

pcbreflux

Postby pcbreflux » Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:55 pm

three more additions for eclipse beginners:

1) (on Linux)
Set your $IDF_PATH and $PATH in your .profile and logoff/login or restart

Code: Select all

export PATH=$PATH:~/esp/xtensa-esp32-elf/bin
export IDF_PATH=~/esp/esp-idf
2)
While it is not need for compiling with command line make, for eclipse it's useful to put the following inside (maybe below #include ) all your project files using the config (i.e. freertos).

Code: Select all

#include "sdkconfig.h"
and put "/your_esp32_project/build/include" into C/C++ General -> Path and Symbols -> Gnu C as the first line.

3)
Create a make target for "all" and maybe "clean" and "flash". (for "all" you can also use "-j8 all" for faster parallel build if your CPU can handle 8 threads).

And this Video from Neil Kolban is very helpful: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYh2w0HzS7s