Using WiFi, energy consumption

cybergoofy

Using WiFi, energy consumption

Postby cybergoofy » Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:23 pm

Hi together,

at the moment I´m working on a IoT board, and we´d like to use WiFi to transmit some data.
Every two hours (12times a day) I´d like to wake up the chip, activated WiFi, transmit some data and let the chip sleep again.
Therefore I´d like to integrate an ESP3212, ESP8266 or ESP8285 into our circuit.

Our device is battery operated, therefore we need the most enegery efficent chip, as far as I understand it´s the ESP8285, is it right?

Two more requierement to the chip, at the beginnig the chip should operate in access point mode (the user should connect with an APP to the chip, select his wifi, enter the password and then the wifi mode should change to normal operation mode on an wifi router).
If the useres wifi change, we´d like to activate the access point mode again, this should be done by the arduino with a command. Is it possible?

Can you recommend me the "best" fitting chip for our project?

ESP_igrr

Re: Using WiFi, energy consumption

Postby ESP_igrr » Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:50 am

This can be achieved on both ESP8266/85 and the ESP32, although you may find that ESP32 deep sleep mode is more flexible, as it allows for sleep times >30 minutes (2^32-1 microseconds) and the wakeup triggers are more flexible as well. ESP32 also has lower current consumption in deep sleep: 5uA (in timer wakeup mode) compared to ~60uA for the ESP8266/85.

Aside from that, it depends on any particular peripherals required for your application (I2C/SPI/I2S, etc), memory usage (which may be important if you need to do TLS connections) and so on.