ESP32-PICO-D4 advise

eyalasko

ESP32-PICO-D4 advise

Postby eyalasko » Sun Dec 08, 2019 8:46 am

Hello,

We have developed a wearable product utilizing BLE radio communicating with a mobile phone.
Now we plan to move on to a newer device utilizing both BLE + WiFi capabilities and ESP32 is of course a candidate for such a project.

I was looking through the Espressif/ESP32 site and noticed the ESP32-PICO-D4 SiP.
Its form factor looks suitable for our requirements but I still wonder what other components we will have to add on our main board to make it a 'system'.
Specifically, I would like to undesrtand:
  • The Sip is not EM shielded. What does it say regarding its radio and EMC certifications (I couldn't find any note for this)?
  • Can/Is the SiP be debugged/flashed serially using a standalone USB->Serial converter (Not part of the designed PCB)?
  • The datasheet denotes 22 IOxx pins out of which 9 (or 7 if disregarding 32K) are reserved. I'll appreciate if someone could confirm
    • IO16, IO17 (+CMD, CLK, SD0, SD1) - used for the 4MB embedded flash
    • IO32, IO33 - connected to external 32KHz xtal (?). Really required?
    • IO0, IO2, IO5, IO12(MTDI), IO15(MTDO) - Strapping pins
  • The following is a list of external components I understand need to be added to the design.
    I'll appreciate if someone can confirm/comment/add to the list.
    • EM Shileding
    • Power source
    • Antenna
    • 32Khz xtal. I couldn't find any reference to why (whether) it is needed
Also,
I'll appreciate if anyone could refer me to a miniature ESP32 based, 3rd party module, that includes shielding, antenna and is radio/EMC certified.

Any advise is highly appreciated.
Many thanks in advance.

Franco

Re: ESP32-PICO-D4 advise

Postby Franco » Sun Dec 08, 2019 4:55 pm

Hi Eyalasko,
regarding
"Also,
I'll appreciate if anyone could refer me to a miniature ESP32 based, 3rd party module, that includes shielding, antenna and is radio/EMC certified. "
would this work for you? https://www.u-blox.com/en/product/nina-w10-series

eyalasko

Postby eyalasko » Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:09 am

Superb. Thanks

ESP_Peter

Postby ESP_Peter » Wed Dec 11, 2019 3:41 am

Hi Eyalasko,

1. ESP32-PICO-D4 doesn't include the antenna , so you need to do certification testing based on your PCB.
2. You can debug and flash firmware via UART0 of ESP32-PICO-D4 .
It like package a ESP32 module in the SIP, you can reference schematic of internal circuit in data sheet of ESP32-PICO-D4 . Chapter 6. Schematics
https://www.espressif.com/sites/default ... eet_en.pdf
3. IO16, IO17 ,SD_CMD, SD_CLK, SD_Data0, SD_Data_1 is used for 4MB embedded SPI flash.
4. The external 32Khz crystal is not a must , you also can use internal internal RC oscillator .
5. IO0, IO2, IO5, IO12(MTDI), IO15(MTDO) is the Strapping pins , it is same as ESP32 chip.
6. There're have the reference schematic of external components in the data sheet of ESP32-PICO-D4 . Chapter 7. Peripheral Schematics (The external pSRAM is option. )
https://www.espressif.com/sites/default ... eet_en.pdf