wifi + I2s

arivel

wifi + I2s

Postby arivel » Tue May 26, 2020 9:35 am

Hi everyone.
I would like to know if it is possible to use an esp32 module as a wifi to i2s interface for high fidelity audio application.
more precisely I need something that captures the wifi signal coming from the cell phone and then powering an external DAC with I2S input. what should be done? .
what are the usable DACs?
do I get a stereo or mono signal?
I state that I am not a programmer and my computer skills are generic.

ESP_Sprite

Re: wifi + I2s

Postby ESP_Sprite » Tue May 26, 2020 12:32 pm

'capturing' the WiFi signal from a cell phone? Can you be a bit more precise what protocol you're talking about? WiFi by itself doesn't specify audio transport.

PeterR

Postby PeterR » Tue May 26, 2020 1:03 pm

What bit rate are you using?

I would imagine a qualified yes; you would need a buffer either side for sure. Live stream no.
As I understand it ESP have a BT & Wifi audio streaming example (Wifi through to your headset) which is similar (maybe not I2S) and uses two very hungry components. So your use should be possible.
& I also believe that IDF CAN should be fixed.

arivel

Postby arivel » Tue May 26, 2020 7:36 pm

ESP_Sprite wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 12:32 pm
'capturing' the WiFi signal from a cell phone? Can you be a bit more precise what protocol you're talking about? WiFi by itself doesn't specify audio transport.
you ask me things I don't know.
is there a project you can copy?
ESP_Sprite wrote: 'capturing' the WiFi signal from a cell phone? Can you be a bit more precise what protocol you're talking about? WiFi by itself doesn't specify audio transport.
without a guide I am not able

Jakobsen

Postby Jakobsen » Wed May 27, 2020 1:26 pm

There are lots of good example out there that takes a http based audio stream from the internet via WIFI and output audio via I2S to a codec/audio amplifier.

In case you want to use your mobile to source the audio you can use the bt audio sink examble.

If you require Wifi one option is to wait for someone to implement Snapcast server by badaix on a mobile device - The snapcast client is in the making.

And yes no realtime jet. /Jakobsen
Analog Digital IC designer / DevOps @ Merus Audio, Copenhagen, Denmark.
We do novel and best in class Audio amplifiers for consumer products.
Programmed assembler for C-64 back in 1980's, learned some electronics - hacking since then

arivel

Postby arivel » Fri May 29, 2020 4:13 pm

hello, I think it is better to specify well.
I would like to make a small inexpensive sound system for the bedroom, intended to listen to white noise, FM radio, clock radio to get up in the morning. all this using a mobile phone and a pair of audio speakers that I have to choose and buy.
I don't want to use cables connected between cellphone and audio speakers but wi-fi technology (no Bluetooth), plus I want to use my voice to control the cellphone (I thought of google home-assistant) which must send music to the speakers (I don't know what range in terms of meters the microphone of the mobile phone can have).
I don't want cables hanging around the room so I put everything inside the audio speakers except the cell phone.
the problem is to be able to make google home-assistant work with the software on the mobile phone.
I don't want to use the data traffic of the mobile contract and I don't want the wi-fi of the home line. therefore I only use audio files stored on the mobile phone and the FM radio of the same.