Flashing failure on ESP SPI ATTACH with 'get flash id error'

steeldecor

Flashing failure on ESP SPI ATTACH with 'get flash id error'

Postby steeldecor » Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:24 am

Hi

I have a WROOM32 on a breadboard using a FTDI USB/UART for comms. In a terminal I can see that the ESP32 is going into flash download mode correctly. Following other forum post answers I have used an independant 3.3V supply for the ESP32 (Bench supply and breadboard plug in supply) - both show same result. When I try to run 'make flash' I get the following:

NariseS@Narise MSYS /E/Electronics/Eclipse/ProjectZippy
$ python /e/Electronics/Eclipse/esp-idf/components/esptool_py/esptool/esptool.py --chip esp32 --port COM9 --baud 115200 --before default_reset --after hard_reset write_flash -z --flash_mode dio --flash_freq 40m --flash_size 4MB 0x1000 /E/Electronics/Eclipse/ProjectZippy/build/bootloader/bootloader.bin 0x10000 /E/Electronics/Eclipse/ProjectZippy/build/app-template.bin 0x8000 /E/Electronics/Eclipse/ProjectZippy/build/partitions_singleapp.bin
esptool.py v2.0-beta2
Connecting......
Uploading stub...
Running stub...
Stub running...
Attaching SPI flash...
Configuring flash size...
Flash params set to 0x0220
Compressed 13824 bytes to 7638...

A fatal error occurred: Timed out waiting for packet content

In the ESP download tool the console reports this:

pic path: ./RESOURCE/SYNC_S.bmp
chip sync ok!
ESP32 set baud: 115200
Changing baud rate to 115200
Changed.
mac l: 0xc404160cL
mac h: 0x9b240a
crc_cal: 155
crc_read: 155
crc_test: 0
ESP32 mac crc ok
48bit mac
MAC AP : 240AC404160D
MAC STA: 240AC404160C
get mac res: True
('tttest uuuuuuuuuuart : uart reg: ', 342)
(' baudrate: ', 115200)
get crystal: 39398400
SEND ESP SPI ATTACH CMD
get flash id error
com closed*********************
pic path: ./RESOURCE/ERROR_S.bmp

KEY PATH NONE...

Any help would be appreciated.

I have also checked the following:

Pin 14 left loating
Pin 24 tied to 0V
Pin 25 tied to 0V
Nothing connected between pins 17 and 22

I noticed before selecting the flash size manually that the flash script was also unable to automatically determine the flash size.

Regards
John

erfeng

Re: Flashing failure on ESP SPI ATTACH with 'get flash id error'

Postby erfeng » Thu May 18, 2017 4:46 am

hi,
I meet the same cause,have you resolved it? could you tell me the solution of this cause?

thanks!

ESP_Angus

Re: Flashing failure on ESP SPI ATTACH with 'get flash id error'

Postby ESP_Angus » Fri May 19, 2017 7:02 am

Using WROOM32 modules by themselves on breadboards is very tricky. Usually this kind of problem is some combination of:

Power Problems
- Need an adequate 3.3V power supply (suggest 500mA current rating or more). Power from a USB/serial adapter is never enough.
- Need adequate capacitance immediately next to the power pins of the module. Value of 200uF or higher is good. Low ESR is also very good. Putting a high capacitance electrolytic capacitor in parallel with a lower value but low ESR ceramic or other capacitor type can be helpful.

Serial Communications Problems
- Check the leads (including ground) to/from the USB/serial adapter.
- Lower the baud rate if necessary (in menuconfig under Serial Flasher Config, or in Arduino Tools menu, or esptool.py --baud parameter).

Buying a premade development board where the WROOM32 module has the relevant components on the board already is a good way to get up and running quickly, with less fiddliness.