Which ESP32 module should I get?

Zealot

Which ESP32 module should I get?

Postby Zealot » Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:00 pm

Hi,

I'd like to buy a ESP32 module. eBay is full of those here: www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-2-4GHz-Development ... 2081527021

In fact, its hard to find any other modules on eBay.

But when looking for ESP32 tutorials, they almost always use this module here (which has a different pin layout):

Questions:
1) Are the eBay modules from my link any good (besides some missing pins)?
2) Should I better go for the modules from the tutorials?

cheers,
Z.

ESP_Sprite

Re: Which ESP32 module should I get?

Postby ESP_Sprite » Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:05 am

We (=Espressif) do not make these modules and I do not have experience with them. However, from the picture, they look like straightforward WROOM32 modules with an LDO and an usb-serial converter. As long as you keep in mind the IO-pins you need for the tutorials may be on different physical pins, I think it should work just fine.

madscientist_42

Postby madscientist_42 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:27 pm

Unless you've got the corresponding mappings to those header pins on that board, you may have issues. To be usable other than through the serial and the wireless portions of the device, you're going to need the pin map there. Units like the one on the bottom or ones modeled precisely after that have a just-so mapping that is clearly marked on the top of the circuit board. The module you show doesn't QUITE meet that requirement- and unless the vendor gives you a clear 1-to-1 mapping of the pins to the SoC's pinmux, you're left without means to use the pins right.

If you've got that info for this module it'll be fine- there's a clear mapping to the tutorials. If you're uncomfortable going there yet, don't have a good mapping, etc. you should probably stick with the Adafruit, Olimex, etc. devices which match the tutorials. They're readily available from the suppliers, even Amazon. While "more expensive", they're what's fully documented right now as best as I can tell. Unless you do this kind of stuff for a living (*waves hand*) why make your life harder? :twisted:

enitalp

Postby enitalp » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:42 pm

I like sparkfun and their product. but did get a lot of wifi problem (random crashes) with their ESP32 Modules. Switched to the adafruit one with esp wroom and it's night and day.

onehorse

Postby onehorse » Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:58 pm

Then there is this development board:

https://www.tindie.com/products/onehors ... ent-board/

runningd this github repository of Arduino sketches:

https://github.com/kriswiner/ESP32

If small, battery-powered, and portable is what you are after.

madscientist_42

Postby madscientist_42 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:44 pm

As an aside, you can get more than the one you pictured on eBay.

The Ebox & Widora module has something unique. U.FL connector support. Only one there is. As a proviso, it's clearly marked in a manner similar to the DevBoard-C models out there, but has a slightly differing pinout. Uses the same nomenclature, so you should be able to work with it on examples, etc.

I've got one of them right now because I'm doing some stuff that requires the antenna to be somewhere else than the Trace on the WROOM modules. So far, the DIYMall offered parts are working out nicely. We'll see if I run into problems.

madscientist_42

Postby madscientist_42 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:47 pm

It should also be noted that ALL of them are battery power-able. It's having charging circuits for Li-Ion/Li-Poly/Li-FEPo batteries that changes the story there. Integral circuits sometimes makes things easier...sometimes not. Sometimes you want do do something else or you need NiMH, etc. and have to supply your charge circuits accordingly- and those "battery powered" versions have stuff you can't use, take up space, and get in the way.