Boot loader GUI?

Duhjoker

Boot loader GUI?

Postby Duhjoker » Mon May 01, 2017 11:16 pm

Hi guys

I'm trying to include ESP32 with my gaming library but I wanted to ask about a boot loader. My idea is to have a small GUI that opens up when the board and TFT power up to let you choose between applications. So say I want the NES emu plus my gaming stuff so you could choose which app you want to use.

There are so many things that can be done with these boards it would be nice to have an app launcher?

Is there something like this already created? I have no idea where to start but some links would be helpful.
Fear is the mind killer.......

GameR the DIY iot gaming device that does more......
https://github.com/Duhjoker/GameR-Iot_ESP

ESP_Sprite

Re: Boot loader GUI?

Postby ESP_Sprite » Tue May 02, 2017 1:12 am

I actually happened to have thought about this as well. You could stash everything in the bootloader, but an easier approach may be to write the GUI as a separate app. As soon as the ESP32 boots, the bootloader boots this app. You can then use the GUI to select a different application; the GUI writes the choice to RTC memory or something and reboots the ESP32. The bootloader sees the written value in RTC mem and boots that app instead.

I actually do have a requirement for something like this in a personal project of mine, and I agree it may be useful in general. We're probably not going to write an all-out GUI, but it could be that we'll develop some kind of app select system support in ESP-IDF at some time. Can't say when that would happen, however.