ESP32 DevKitS/S-R "CCATS" - export from USA - specifically mouser

DavidLamb

ESP32 DevKitS/S-R "CCATS" - export from USA - specifically mouser

Postby DavidLamb » Thu Nov 12, 2020 11:14 am

Hi there,

Background:
I'm module lead for an final year IoT/embedded systems module, as part of a Software Engineering undergraduate degree.
We use a number of MCUs, and in recent years, have focused on the ESP32 - it's very appealing to the students in terms of capabilities, cost. Anyway, as part of the current COVID19 situation, we've had to increase our provision, in order to supply students with dev kits on a 1:1 basis.

The query
I'd successfully ordered some of the ESP32-DEVKITS "motherboard" dev boards for evaluation from mouser (we're in the UK, so this is a USA-UK export situation). They seem great - easy to fit an ESP32-WROOM32. Resiliant to repeated use; brilliant.
However, when we've tried to order them in bulk for student use, mouser went through the usual form completion process. Then, they rejected the order on the DEVKITS as apparently they don't have the "CCATS" documentation for this product. I've now noticed a number of ESP32 products (and all the ESP32-S2) now have this export restriction marking on mouser.co.uk.

e.g. https://www.mouser.co.uk/ProductDetail/ ... CuxQ%3D%3D

Mouser don't appear to be able to move on this - so I wondered if there's a documentation step/tickbox that Espressif need to complete, but haven't?

Any thoughts?

Many thanks,
-David

rudi ;-)

Re: ESP32 DevKitS/S-R "CCATS" - export from USA - specifically mouser

Postby rudi ;-) » Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:44 pm

Hi David
Welcome in the mouser club :) - what i can say -
this happens just in time at Mouser.
will update the post
best wishes
rudi ;-)
Last edited by rudi ;-) on Fri Nov 27, 2020 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
-------------------------------------
love it, change it or leave it.
問候飛出去的朋友遍全球魯迪

DavidLamb

Postby DavidLamb » Thu Nov 12, 2020 4:03 pm

Hi Rudi,

Thanks very much for responding so quickly, I do appreciate it. I guess you are in a similar frustrating situation.

It's a little disappointing - I was actually successful ordering it personally and then by the time my institution have come to order it (what, maybe a week later!) they've changed their policy on this item.

It's really disappointing (I would expect work to be VAT-registered, btw) and the lack of details / what to do is more frustrating!

I imagine we'll end up buying the ESP32 pico kits instead (as it'll go on a breadboard!), but I do wish mouser would be a little more transparent with the nature of the export restrictions and which hoops are necessary. It would be good if Espressif could supply the relevant documentation (whatever that might be!)

Thanks again, much appreciated :)
-David

DavidLamb

Postby DavidLamb » Thu Nov 12, 2020 6:02 pm

Hi Rudi,

Many thanks for your reply - I thought I'd responded too, but perhaps I just clicked Preview and forgot to submit(!)

Anyway - I think the gist of my reply was that I take it you've had your fair share of mouser fun too. :)

What's puzzling is that I was able to order (and receive!) 2 boards, personally, to my home address. It's only when my employer have tried that they've hit a wall. I'm guessing they've got a VAT number, though there again, as a university, I think we are VAT exempt, so perhaps not. Since then, the product page has a restricted export flag on it, so I'm guessing it would fail if I tried to order more.

It's very frustrating anyway, and would be great if Espressif could sort it out by providing Mouser the certification they require. As you say, Mouser's process is about as transparent as mud, though. I think for semester 2, we'll just have to order the ESP32-PICO-KIT boards. Not ideal, but they'll fit on a breadboard and at least still have a fair number of GPIO broken out to headers. Providing mouser don't put an export restriction flag on it before we order :lol:

Unless there's anyone from Espressif on here who'll do a direct order of about ~50 units (ESP32-DEVKITS and ESP32-WROOM-32E) on a purchase order to a UK university? :)

Thanks Rudi again for getting back so quickly.

Best wishes,
-David

rudi ;-)

Postby rudi ;-) » Thu Nov 12, 2020 10:56 pm

Hi David

OT things outsourced to DM to you
it is progressing
best wishes
rudi
Last edited by rudi ;-) on Fri Nov 27, 2020 10:29 am, edited 3 times in total.
問候飛出去的朋友遍全球魯迪

DavidLamb

Postby DavidLamb » Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:35 am

Thanks for such a detailed and comprehensive reply, Rudi - really appreciated :)

Yes, incidentally, I did also try to order some ESP32-S2s (for personal use) in my original order but that seemed to show the other issue you highlighted. Signed (I think the same as you describe) form saying they wouldn't be used a product, etc, and an email saying it was cancelled. I just wish mouser were a little more transparent about the conditions for each product.

Show it as export to UK or EU prohibited if that's the effective situation.

Anyway, back to the larger order from my employer - for the ESP32 spring-loaded devkit board. I have checked and we did supply a VAT number, so we are ordering them as a business - but still "no dice". The only form mouser sent to our resources manager had to fill for that one was the "not for resale"- which of course we did. Like both our own personal experiences.

It seems that there are a bundle of different export restrictions that all flag up under a single EAR flag on mouser. It's very frustrating if they all translate to "sorry but no"

Mouser did follow-up to our resources manager to say, as I think you have near the end of your email, that Espressif are on it and apparently are applying for licences. I can understand why our own personal EUC's weren't satisfactory (but like you, very angry about that!), but am now puzzled as to why my institution's declaration was not sufficient.

I've seen that the ESP32-DEVKITC-F is showing as available on digikey so we'll give that a go and see if it works. No apparent flags against export on that one yet. Obviously at risk of hitting same US export restriction, but fingers crossed. No easily replaceable ESP32 module on this one, but they will do fine for students. If we get them. Beginning to fear for my (taught!) module now ( :roll: !)

Thanks again for the detail and your own observations; really appreciated.

Apologies also for the repeat post before - I'd missed the message that I was still subject to moderation :)

Best wishes,
-David

rudi ;-)

Postby rudi ;-) » Fri Nov 13, 2020 12:01 pm

DavidLamb wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:35 am

It seems that there are a bundle of different export restrictions that all flag up under a single EAR flag on mouser. It's very frustrating if they all translate to "sorry but no"

Hi David

i checked all Items too which mouser is list from espressif and have a restriction flag for EU,

43 - 1
42 Items ( one was doubled add )

shared basked link

also as PDF attached
Basket_Nov13_0535AM.pdf
(1.06 MiB) Downloaded 438 times
it is progressing

best wishes
rudi
Last edited by rudi ;-) on Fri Nov 27, 2020 10:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
問候飛出去的朋友遍全球魯迪

rudi ;-)

Postby rudi ;-) » Fri Nov 13, 2020 1:03 pm

Hi David,
it is progressing
best wishes
rudi ;-)
Attachments
Screenshot_2020-11-13 ESP32-S2-Saola-1R Espressif Systems Mouser.png
Screenshot_2020-11-13 ESP32-S2-Saola-1R Espressif Systems Mouser.png (54.28 KiB) Viewed 7365 times
Screenshot_2020-11-13 ESP32-S2-Saola-1M Espressif Systems Mouser.png
Screenshot_2020-11-13 ESP32-S2-Saola-1M Espressif Systems Mouser.png (42.35 KiB) Viewed 7365 times
Last edited by rudi ;-) on Fri Nov 27, 2020 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
問候飛出去的朋友遍全球魯迪

rudi ;-)

Postby rudi ;-) » Fri Nov 13, 2020 7:49 pm

@David, I am very happy that you brought up the topic here.
I don't understand why Mouser explicitly puts these "ESP32-Wroom-spring PCB boards" and "ESP32-Wrover-spring PCB boards" under this export framework. there are also no RF functions on these developer boards. This Test boards are not functional without a Modul ( Wroom, Wrover ) which is an other order at mouser.
They also apply this inability to all other no RF-development kits and accessories, although they should know that they do not work independently, which CE however "requires" or "makes necessary".
so an mouser in house rule too i think.
best wishes rudi
Screenshot_2020-11-13 ESP32-DevKitS-R Espressif Systems Mouser.png
Screenshot_2020-11-13 ESP32-DevKitS-R Espressif Systems Mouser.png (69.68 KiB) Viewed 7324 times
Screenshot_2020-11-13 ESP32-DevKitS Espressif Systems Mouser.png
Screenshot_2020-11-13 ESP32-DevKitS Espressif Systems Mouser.png (71.31 KiB) Viewed 7324 times

edit:
the same with ESP-PROG Board. no student can buy it at mouser US for EU.
but also no RF-Function on it and do not work independently, which CE however "requires" or "makes necessary".
its an evaluation / engineering board.
happy you open this post here. we talk here in the university circle too about this mess at mouser inhouse rule for EU buyers.
Attachments
Screenshot_2020-11-13 ESP-PROG Espressif Systems Mouser.png
Screenshot_2020-11-13 ESP-PROG Espressif Systems Mouser.png (63.11 KiB) Viewed 7322 times
問候飛出去的朋友遍全球魯迪

DavidLamb

Postby DavidLamb » Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:10 pm

Agreed; it's very confusing and appears to be a constantly changing picture.

As you note - the ESP PROG, the ESP32 DevKitC, DevKitS etc are all now showing that flag. These are all things I've bought previously (personally) from mouser. As you say, what's the issue with the DevKitS, PROG, etc - they don't even have a module included(!) - curiously, the castellated WROOM32 modules themselves are one of the few ESP32 things that is presently not verboten for whatever reason. It does have a nice big CE sign on it though :lol:
Things I've bought via work - are, again, as you say, getting a badly-explained cancellation.

Fingers crossed with Digikey for the ESP32 DevKitC. It will at least allow the final-year module to run(!)
They've not cancelled it yet.
We've just had to fill in the "I won't resell this" guff, so fingers crossed. I'll only believe it when they turn up in Liverpool!
I'll keep you posted.

I'd add a voice to Espressif - please consider a UK/EU importer. Farnell/element14 would do. I know they're pricey, but at least it doesn't involve this strange smoke and mirrors with foggy export restrictions.

Unforunately, for students, I direct them to amazon or suchlike and the Olimex or similar boards. It's disappointing as I'd put some stuff together for the ESP PROG (for those students getting ahead) which will now need another source.

Best wishes,
-David