ESP-WROVER-KIT-VB + VS Code + Espress IDF Extension + JTAG Debugger for Dummies

brubor2005

ESP-WROVER-KIT-VB + VS Code + Espress IDF Extension + JTAG Debugger for Dummies

Postby brubor2005 » Tue Dec 15, 2020 1:25 am

I have an ESP-WROVER-IT-VB that I am trying to get JTAG debugging working with VS Code and the Espress IDF Extension. I am able to compile and flash hello_world and blink using the serial port. I am confident I have the driver correct for JTAG (used Dizag) and even had some success with JTAG at the command line. Can someone please explain in the simplest possible terms what I have to do to get JTAG debugging to work from VS Code? I really do not want to have to do anything at the command line. I am overwhelmed by how much effort it takes to get this tool chain working.

RodrigoSchardong

Re: ESP-WROVER-KIT-VB + VS Code + Espress IDF Extension + JTAG Debugger for Dummies

Postby RodrigoSchardong » Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:15 pm

Hello!

Do you have platformIO installed in your VS Code?

There is one tutorial that I found:

https://docs.platformio.org/en/latest/t ... g-analysis

I'm in doubt if this VB kit works jtag well. I'm doing some research about this before I buy one to test it.

brubor2005

Re: ESP-WROVER-KIT-VB + VS Code + Espress IDF Extension + JTAG Debugger for Dummies

Postby brubor2005 » Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:29 pm

I did end up going with PlatformIO instead of the ExpressIF extension. It's useable but not the best. Compiles and JTAG debugging are very slow. Even the slightest change to the code takes several minutes to compile, download and debug. EspressIF has done a very poor job productizing a toolchain for their device.