wearleveling filesystem image uploading

perryc

Re: wearleveling filesystem image uploading

Postby perryc » Sun May 21, 2017 4:59 am

I suggest download the whole 4M flash image and open in your favorite hex viewer/editor and search for the string "MSDOS5.0" three bytes before the 'M' is the start of your FAT filesystem. My FS was 0x1000 higher than I expected. Once you know where then adjust your start address and redownload.

Very interested is seeing your TFTP code. Gotta get a bunch of .ubj files off my esp32's uSD and into a android app, last big block code I've got to implement for my crazy little project.... I'm a semi-retired nerd with some farming roots. Needed a mass flow sensor for our harvesters so we could produce yield maps of our fields. Bet that is up there in the obscure applications for the ESP32

Nothing terribly interesting as code libraries I'd could contribute to the greater good - Did write a SNTP time server that sets system time from a GPS chip and then broadcasts it using SNTP protocol. But a) you need a GPS chip and b) only matters where you want to sync time of other devices on a network that's isolated from seeing real NTP servers.

Perry

Kolban - seem's private messaging is broken on the site - email me perry(at)ifts(dot)tech if you want discuss TFTP or get help with messing with filesystems etc.

cliftonk

Postby cliftonk » Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:59 am

Hello,

How is the pre-prepared FAT flash project coming along?

ESP_igrr

Postby ESP_igrr » Sun Jun 11, 2017 4:51 am

On hold for a while — we are working on improvements to OpenOCD.

martinB

Postby martinB » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:10 am

Any more news on the support for flashing in a pre-prepared FAT file system? I really need it for a project I'm working on and it would be particularly annoying to spend a few days bodging round the lack of support only to find that you release it the following week! :shock:

martinB

Postby martinB » Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:24 am

As a follow-up to my previous post, I subsequently discovered that the functionality is already there to flash a pre-prepared SPIFFS fie system. I tested it and it works fine - will be good enough for my purposes!

kolban

Postby kolban » Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:43 pm

Howdy,
Would it be possible for you to provide a link to the docs/reference for the recipe on using the pre-prepared SPIFFS file system?
Free book on ESP32 available here: https://leanpub.com/kolban-ESP32

martinB

Postby martinB » Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:05 am

kolban wrote:Howdy,
Would it be possible for you to provide a link to the docs/reference for the recipe on using the pre-prepared SPIFFS file system?
Sorry - I've been away from this forum for a while and missed your post. If it is still of interest, see this link: https://github.com/loboris/ESP32_spiffs_example

Martin

AloyseTech

Postby AloyseTech » Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:11 pm

Hi,

Any news on an "official" way to program a pre-formatted FatFS image to use with wear leveling and VFS API?

A tool similar to spiffsgen.py (included in the esp-idf) would be really great for mass-production scenario where certificates and PEM keys must be stored and possibly updated at runtime.

PeterR

Postby PeterR » Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:47 pm

Hi,
I have a similar use case.
Just to check....
(1) That 'wear leavelling' details are stored within ESP specific structures within FLASH
(2) That on new program update you wish to (a) upload a new file system whilst (b) preserve 'wear leveling' detail?
EDIT: Such that if you were to reload a unit long running in the field etc..

If so then can you afford a dual buffer? Another FS and OTA gives you the instruction to replace the tactical FS? So that becomes a first boot & replace but you don't loose wear leveling (assuming file copy). The source FS could be anything; SPIFFS etc.
& I also believe that IDF CAN should be fixed.

AloyseTech

Postby AloyseTech » Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:26 pm

I preferably want the filesystem to be ready when programmed and not have to run a factory program on the ESP32 itself (which is not very convenient for mass production).
When updating the firmware using OTA, both the filesystem content and wear leveling status must be preserved. Updating the filesystem content would be possible from within the firmware. One common use case is certificate management where certificate are possibly updated during product lifecycle.