ESP-WROOM-32 WiFi Throughput with SDIO input

Melon87

ESP-WROOM-32 WiFi Throughput with SDIO input

Postby Melon87 » Wed May 24, 2017 2:31 pm

Hi There,

I was pleased to see your test results for the ESP-WROOM-32 throughput over WiFi over >100Mbps.

In my application I am looking to receive data from the SDIO interface and transmit over WiFi. Does anyone have any ideas of the throughput that is likely to be achievable?

Best Regards,
James

madscientist_42

Re: ESP-WROOM-32 WiFi Throughput with SDIO input

Postby madscientist_42 » Tue May 30, 2017 12:56 pm

Melon87 wrote:Hi There,

I was pleased to see your test results for the ESP-WROOM-32 throughput over WiFi over >100Mbps.

In my application I am looking to receive data from the SDIO interface and transmit over WiFi. Does anyone have any ideas of the throughput that is likely to be achievable?

Best Regards,
James
Peak throughput through the SDIO edge is going to be dictated by how many lines, clock speed, and how fast the Tensillica is handling the SDIO controller's events. You should see 80-ish out of the edge if you get everything just right. Some of the peak speed (400 mbits is the spec's peak) because of the latencies involved with each stage.

One wonders how hard it'd be and what the end results would be if one did an SDIO edge interface and handled LE and WiFi through a proxy protocol...hm...

madscientist_42

Postby madscientist_42 » Tue May 30, 2017 1:05 pm

I take the 80-ish back. You've only one line. Limits what you can/can't do. At SDHC spec speeds, the best you can do is 50 Mbits/s So, 30-40-ish is likely to be that magic number with this configuration. Still would've worked wonders for me on my prior customer's project- because this would've likely worked with the FX2 or FX3 from Cypress Semi very nicely and let you do both reasonably well...with a small custom driver to proxy the HCI to the HCI edge (mimicking USB or SDIO HCI transport, multiplexed with some similar hook to the WiFi...)

Hm...

temp4eb

Postby temp4eb » Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:58 am

Melon87 wrote:Hi There,

Best Regards,
James
Hi there, I'm also working on the same target.ESP32 should be 1T1R 11n, which have the MAX 150Mbps connection rate.I wonder how you got the result that throughput over WiFi over >100Mbps.Could you please show the test results in detail?Thanx!

filipe22

Postby filipe22 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:46 pm

I am also interested in your test rig.
Please share.

Filipe