FCC RF certification costs

eccessivo

FCC RF certification costs

Postby eccessivo » Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:23 pm

Hi,
i am close to the end of a product based on the Esp32 wroom 32E module (with its own pcb antenna).
This product has to be produced in large quantities. One of the reason because i choose the esp32 was that it is a preapproved module , with a large amount of certification available. My projet make use of Ble and occasionally wifi to perform OTA updates.
The esp32 is the only intentional radiator on the board . So I asked for a quote to get FCCid and CE certification for my product... and i was expecting to be asked for 2000 USD but surprise .... they asked more than 16000 USD... WOW!
What is your experience? Am i doing something wrong? Suggestions?
Guido

WiFive

Re: FCC RF certification costs

Postby WiFive » Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:12 pm

If you are using a module you don't need fcc certification just sdoc . You also need Bluetooth certification. It can be expensive and depends on what kind of lab you use and where it is located.

eccessivo

Postby eccessivo » Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:38 pm

Thank you Wifive for the answer. The part number i am using is ESP32-WROOM-32E(M113EH3200PH3Q0) . this is the module with pcb antenna . The certification have to be done in the USA , and there are the labs where i get the quotes. So if i understand correctly your answer : i don't need any additional documentation for my device to operate WiFi, but i need to grant an rf certification for the Bluetooth (BLE). This sound weird have you any idea why?

WiFive

Postby WiFive » Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:40 pm

There are approved labs outside usa. But for Supplier’s Declaration of Conformity I don't think you have to use a certified lab. Bluetooth certification is required by bluetooth.org not fcc.

peter_antypas

Postby peter_antypas » Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:26 pm

From experience, FCC testing is not required, if:

- The ESP32 is the only intentional radiator in the circuit
- The circuit includes another FCC approved radiator > 20cm away from it
- The circuit includes another FCC approved radiator < 20cm from it but transmission is mutually exclusive

If any of these conditions are not true, modular grants are out the window and you're required to obtain your own FCC ID.

Test costs vary depending on which FCC parts apply to your device, and this depends on what kind of radios it contains.

WiFive

Postby WiFive » Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:06 am

peter_antypas wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:26 pm
FCC testing is not required, if:
Testing is still required but filing is not

Wayde98

Postby Wayde98 » Wed Sep 08, 2021 12:22 am

This post is a bit old but I will throw in my two cents for the record:

From what I understand, if your product is ONLY an ESP that is programmed with some LEDs and switches attached, then you won't need any sort of FCC testing for an intentional radiator or an unintentional radiator. But you do need to show the FCC ID number of the ESP on the outside of the product where end users can see it. For example, "Contains FCC ID 2AC7Z-ESPWROOM32D".

Why? Because the ESP is already tested and confirmed by the FCC for both WiFi and Bluetooth radiation. Take a look at the following link to see that the testing included both BLE and WiFi. https://fccid.io/2AC7Z-ESPWROOM32D

On the other hand, OP mentioned something about the ESP being the only radiator "on the board", which implies there is a PCB to which the ESP is attached. In that case, then OP would not need FCC testing as an intentional radiator (since that is already covered by Espressif's FCC number), but OP would still need to get new testing done as an unintentional radiator. According to my limited knowledge, that sort of testing is much easier and cheaper. There are labs in China and Hong Kong that will do it quite cheaply.