espefuse.py could not write efuse in Windows msys2

temp4eb

espefuse.py could not write efuse in Windows msys2

Postby temp4eb » Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:27 am

"espefuse.py burn_efuse" command could not work in windows msys2 environment. I was only able to display current settings using "summary" command.But if I run "espefuse.py burn_efuse XPD_SDIO_TIEH 1" it hang until interrupted by ctrl+c.

Code: Select all

$ ./espefuse.py burn_efuse XPD_SDIO_FORCE
espefuse.py v2.0-beta3
Connecting........__

ESP_Angus

Re: espefuse.py could not write efuse in Windows msys2

Postby ESP_Angus » Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:14 am

temp4eb wrote:

Code: Select all

$ ./espefuse.py burn_efuse XPD_SDIO_FORCE
espefuse.py v2.0-beta3
Connecting........__
The "Connecting..." stage is the same for all espefuse.py (and esptool.py) commands. So if it worked for one command and not for another, this is probably not the command - it may be because of serial communication issues or problems resetting the ESP32 into debug mode. Consult the troubleshooting section here: https://github.com/espressif/esptool#bo ... nt-respond

BTW, there is a convenience command "espefuse.py set_flash_voltage xxx" for setting VDD_SDIO registers. See https://github.com/espressif/esptool/wi ... e-vdd_sdio

kearins

Postby kearins » Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:11 am

I had the same problem: could not complete 'espefuse.py set_flash_voltage xxx' on windows msys32. Process hung on 'Connecting........__ '. The esp-idf installation was made 9-aug-2017. I updated esptool from https://github.com/espressif/esptool today (8-sent-2017) and now the command is executed perfectly.

temp4eb

Postby temp4eb » Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:38 am

kearins wrote:I had the same problem: could not complete 'espefuse.py set_flash_voltage xxx' on windows msys32. Process hung on 'Connecting........__ '. The esp-idf installation was made 9-aug-2017. I updated esptool from https://github.com/espressif/esptool today (8-sent-2017) and now the command is executed perfectly.
Many Thanx!And could you please share your updated code?Thanx!

kearins

Postby kearins » Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:43 am

temp4eb wrote:Many Thanx!And could you please share your updated code?Thanx!
I did not make any changes in source code, I've just updated my old version of esptool with new one.

ESP_Angus

Postby ESP_Angus » Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:08 am

Sorry for the inconvenience with this.

There was a bug in espefuse.py on Windows where it would over-buffer output. It's actually prompting "This is an irreversible operation ... Type 'BURN' (all capitals) to continue." but due to buffering this output is not correctly flushed to the console.

As others have pointed out, this bug is fixed in the latest version of esptool. Alternatively you can run "espefuse.py --do-not-confirm [...]" to bypass the confirmation prompt. Note that the confirmation is intended to prevent you accidentally burning the wrong efuses, so please check the command line arguments carefully when using it!

temp4eb

Postby temp4eb » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:46 am

ESP_Angus wrote:Sorry for the inconvenience with this.

There was a bug in espefuse.py on Windows where it would over-buffer output. It's actually prompting "This is an irreversible operation ... Type 'BURN' (all capitals) to continue." but due to buffering this output is not correctly flushed to the console.

As others have pointed out, this bug is fixed in the latest version of esptool. Alternatively you can run "espefuse.py --do-not-confirm [...]" to bypass the confirmation prompt. Note that the confirmation is intended to prevent you accidentally burning the wrong efuses, so please check the command line arguments carefully when using it!
Understood and thanx!I will try the latest version.