start iot in rust

juliantesla

start iot in rust

Postby juliantesla » Tue Jun 08, 2021 2:22 am

Hello, I am developing an iot prototype for which I am using the esp32 and I want to improve the functionality characteristics through the application of the Rust language. It has a guide to start with the configuration in the window 10 operating system.
thanks for your attention

ESP_georgik

Re: start iot in rust

Postby ESP_georgik » Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:58 am

Hello.

Thank you for posting information about Rust. We're working together with community around https://github.com/esp-rs project to improve the Rust support. There is also discussion esp-rs at matrix.org.

If your target architecture is RISC-V (ESP32-C3) then you can use latest Rust without major issue.

If your target architecture is Xtensa (ESP32, ESP32-S series) read following information:
We're working on preparing custom build of Rust with Xtensa support.
Supported platforms:
- macOS x64, arm64 - works
- Linux x64 - works
- Windows x64 - requires linking to llvm-project Xtensa 11 (not 10)
We're putting together instructions how to get working toolchain. Right now it's in Beta stage and we're updating it often. You can find instructions here:
https://dl.espressif.com/dl/idf-rust/
- Juraj Michálek
Senior Embedded Software Engineer at Espressif Systems

vandell

Re: start iot in rust

Postby vandell » Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:15 pm

Hey there,
Thx for your link,
I was a bit confused about all the repos for the rust espressif ecosystem.
I succeed to get started with with the 'xtensa-esp32-none-elf' rust target but never succeed to flash it with the 'cargo espflash' feature from the 'get started' blinky example.
Anyway i give a try with the link that you gave.
But maybe it is something to improved for new starter. We can see lot of different approach to install the correct things that we need to get it started but ( personnaly ) i felt a bit lost about which section should i installed or not or do i forget something to make it worked from all them.

In any case, keep this great job, i personnaly trust on rust for the embedded system and you are currently giving a first class 'espressif rust onboarding' for the embedded world. Thx a lot for that. Maybe give a shot for new comers to get it started fast by doing a simpler starting documentation.

Bye bye.