WPA2 Enterprise Eduroam Wifi Connection

jonaskreiner

WPA2 Enterprise Eduroam Wifi Connection

Postby jonaskreiner » Mon Nov 22, 2021 1:41 pm

Hi Everyone,

although some people seem to have solved this problem for themselves (https://github.com/martinius96/ESP32-eduroam or https://gist.github.com/Matheus-Garbeli ... 2636e19bde, etc.) I cannot manage to connect to my universities Eduroam WiFi. I am trying to just do this simple connection. I have verified that the login data is fine (using my laptop) and according to the IT no cerificates are required. However

I am using a the NodeMCU32 ESP from AZ Delivery and am programming with the Arduino IDE:

Code: Select all

#include "esp_wpa2.h"
#include <WiFi.h>
#include <HTTPClient.h>
#define EAP_IDENTITY "xxx@xxx.at"
#define EAP_PASSWORD "xxx"

const char *ssid = "eduroam";

void setup()
{
  Serial.begin(115200);
  delay(10);
  Serial.println();
  Serial.println(ssid);
  WiFi.disconnect(true);
  WiFi.mode(WIFI_STA);
  esp_wifi_sta_wpa2_ent_set_identity((uint8_t *)EAP_IDENTITY, strlen(EAP_IDENTITY));
  esp_wifi_sta_wpa2_ent_set_username((uint8_t *)EAP_IDENTITY, strlen(EAP_IDENTITY));
  esp_wifi_sta_wpa2_ent_set_password((uint8_t *)EAP_PASSWORD, strlen(EAP_PASSWORD));
  esp_wpa2_config_t config = WPA2_CONFIG_INIT_DEFAULT();
  esp_wifi_sta_wpa2_ent_enable(&config);

Serial.println("MAC address: ");
  Serial.println(WiFi.macAddress());
  WiFi.begin(ssid);
  while (WiFi.status() != WL_CONNECTED)
  {
    delay(500);
    Serial.print(".");
  }
  Serial.println("");
  Serial.println("IP address: ");
}
void loop()
{}

attach.png
attach.png (111.56 KiB) Viewed 4890 times
The connection never establishes regardless of how much I do reset the ESP. I tried different codes I have found online, but none of them ever worked for me. Connecting to my homenetwork which is not wpa2enterprise works fine also. I was made aware that within our wifi configuration is also a domain (radius.xxx.edu) that may be required to connect, however I have not found any code with said argument. I did read out the WiFi.status() which returns 6 = disconnected at any time. I find it difficult to do any troubleshooting but would be happy for any clues on where to start or what might cause the issue. I read something about different firmwares that are required, but those issues seem to be around 4 years ago and I am not very familiar with how to check or update that, in case that is what holds me down?

Thanks
Jonas

jonaskreiner

Re: WPA2 Enterprise Eduroam Wifi Connection

Postby jonaskreiner » Sun Dec 05, 2021 4:42 pm

Anyone?