esp32-h2 What can i do with it?

CharlySan

esp32-h2 What can i do with it?

Postby CharlySan » Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:50 am

Hello

I belong to a company which website is dedicated to home automation. My role is to be Content writer and I would like write an article about ESP32-H2

I´ve read a lot of pages about ESP32-H2 and I would like ask you some questions.

If I had an ESP32-H2 on my hands right now, what I could do with it? Can I connect it to my zigbee netwok?, which role?, coordinator, router o endpoint? Or on the other hand I can´t do anything because I have to wait to matter protocol birth

Threads is IP based but not WIFI, so, can I run MQTT on ESP32-H2 to public/subcribe topics?

Finally just comment if is posible to purchase this device and how to test it

Thanks in advance
Cheers...Charly

ESP_igrr

Re: esp32-h2 What can i do with it?

Postby ESP_igrr » Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:06 pm

Hi Charly,

Indeed if you had an ESP32-H2, you could try some of the zigbee examples which just got added to ESP-IDF: https://github.com/espressif/esp-idf/tr ... ght_sample.

There are also openthread related examples in https://github.com/espressif/esp-idf/tr ... openthread, for example the border router example uses two ESP chips (e.g. ESP32-H2 and ESP32) to provide a router between Wi-Fi and Thread networks.

rudi ;-)

Postby rudi ;-) » Sun Nov 28, 2021 2:06 am

ESP_igrr wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:06 pm
.. you could try some of the zigbee examples which just got added to ESP-IDF: https://github.com/espressif/esp-idf/tr ... ght_sample.
hi ivan
This repository contains binary libraries supporting the Zboss Zigbee 3.0 stack for ESP32 series chips.
Are DSR Corporation, Denver CO, USA / Espressif Systems (Shanghai) PTE LTD planning to publish the SRC code as well?
The Unknown license what guise / set of rules is it?
txs
attached as history
license.txt
(1.9 KiB) Downloaded 528 times
edit: add

Espressif Joins ZBOSS Open Initiative (ZOI), a Community for Royalty-Free Zigbee® PRO Stack Software

lic.png
lic.png (32.3 KiB) Viewed 16377 times
Last edited by rudi ;-) on Sun Nov 28, 2021 2:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
-------------------------------------
love it, change it or leave it.
問候飛出去的朋友遍全球魯迪

ESP_Sprite

Postby ESP_Sprite » Sun Nov 28, 2021 2:14 am

Sorry, I don't think so. According to the Zigbee people in Espressif: "The Zigbee core stack and porting will be all closed source, since our Zigbee stack is from ZOI (https://dsr-zoi.com/), which we cannot open source."

The license seems pretty readable to me, is there anything in there that you don't understand?

rudi ;-)

Postby rudi ;-) » Sun Nov 28, 2021 2:29 am

txs Jeroen,

i thinked so - no problem - i see it likewise the wifi blob then.
ESP_Sprite wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 2:14 am
The license seems pretty readable to me, is there anything in there that you don't understand?
TBH, it was actually more because of the named "Unknown License".

but while we're on the subject,
this is standard text that occurs in many snippets of code - I know - but
but what does section 3 actually say and what does that mean:

"* 3. Neither the name of the copyright holder nor the names of its contributors
* may be used to endorse or promote products derived from this software without
* specific prior written permission.
"

does this mean we can not say "ESP32-H2-ZigBEE Device" ("Espressif's ESP32-H2 inside") like the USB Org it does handle ( no pay - no USB brand use )
and if we want use the Brand "ZigBEE" in the product we need written permisson from
DSR Corporation, Denver CO, USA / Espressif Systems (Shanghai) PTE LTD ?

it's not easy to name a (ZigBee) product with espressif's SoC inside without name it with/by the SoC name :) and what H2 does "ZigBEE"
maybe I see that too closely , so I prefer to ask .

txs

edit: adds
love it, change it or leave it.
問候飛出去的朋友遍全球魯迪

ESP_Sprite

Postby ESP_Sprite » Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:37 am

The clause in the license prohibits you to use the fact that DSR Corporation or any other contributers wrote the code as marketing - a sentence like 'Our product is created with code from the world-famous DSR Corporation, so you know that there won't be any bugs in there!' would be forbidden by the license.

The licensing on Zigbee and related terms seems to be governed by this document. To me it seems you're not allowed to use the trademark unless you're a member of the Zigbee Alliance, but that document contains a bit too much legalese to me and I don't really know the first thing about trademark law to be sure how much that would impact any ESP32-H2 user.

(Note that I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice.)