What would you like to see in The Next Chip?

nimish

Re: What would you like to see in The Next Chip?

Postby nimish » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:30 pm

ESP_Sprite wrote:You are aware the ESP32 already does capsense?
Clearly not! Guess you've got that in the bag!

rudi ;-)

Postby rudi ;-) » Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:35 am

CAN theme:
---------------
- more flexible clock source for low clock frequency ( clock sources for the CAN controller )

best wishes
rudi ;-)
-------------------------------------
love it, change it or leave it.
-------------------------------------
問候飛出去的朋友遍全球魯迪

jimbob

Postby jimbob » Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:09 am

1. +1 for USB
2. a means so that peripherals can communicate with each other without waking the main core. With the ULP available this probably makes sense to use that. Think of it as DMA for interrupts!
3. A configurable logic block on some (or all) of the I/O pins so I can create really simple logic functions in hardware which are fast (and again saves waking/instructions on a CPU)
Apologies if I've missed it, but a way to use hardware to time hardware events. e.g. have a range of events to chose from that start and stop the timer. This could potentially be combined with the mechanism for 2.

vseven

Postby vseven » Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:51 pm

permal wrote:Not a H/W thing as such, but backwards compatible with the IDF for ESP32, allowing us to reuse our code for the new chip.
Agree....the ESP32 just came out (relatively) and is still considered a development board with lots of bugs. If people are expected to put in time designing for it then the next iteration should be compatible so they don't have to start all over.
brandon wrote:Ethernet PHY added to existing MAC. Wireless is great for IoT portable toys but for IoT plant control you need power and reliability of wired connection.

Can the CAN port extend to other protocols, e.g. MODBUS
I don't see MODBus support being added (not feasible) but having a hard wired Ethernet would be a huge plus. Being able to power the ESP32 over a PoE Ethernet cable would be even better.

mnemonix wrote:Better ADC specs (range down to zero)
ESP_Sprite wrote:Fast ADC: I'll keep it in mind. I actually think the current ADC can actually be pretty fast if you turn down the amount of bits, but I haven't played around too much with it yet. Will give it some thought.
Doesn't matter how fast it is if it's inaccurate and non-linear like the current implementation. I would LOVE to use the ESP32 for data logging of high accuracy temperature and humidity sensors (among other things) but the ADC fails horribly in this regard. Please work on fixing this and if you can't make sure future chips don't have these issues.
tuskiomi wrote:The software request is for the next module to have native support to be recognized as an SD Card. This is so I can take my ESP 32 devices, and plug them into my PC for easy data downloading. I Imagine that the SD interface is trademarked, though. In other words, USB Host+Device integration would be just as acceptable.
I actually can see a case for this also. In the same scenario of data logging it would be nice to pull the data off easily.

samsam

Postby samsam » Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:24 am

+ user's app available bootstarp GPIOs:

I see in GPIO_STRAP_REG only 6 bits are taken - those for GPIO 0,2,4,15.. that are used by ESP32 "natively". The other 10 bits are not used (at least not documented). I know plenty of devices that use some config/setup or update procedures based on bootstraping with the same buttons that else are normaly used as regular buttons in the regular device use. So couple bootstrapping IOs tha are available for the developers app logic and dont affect the alredy set bootstraps 0,2,4,..I think will be useful feature to have?

ESP_Sprite

Postby ESP_Sprite » Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:39 am

You can already do this: have multiple partitions with multiple apps in it and modify the bootloader to read the GPIOs and boot the corresponding app. Our customers already do this to boot into a factory partition as a recovery for when OTA for some reason fails entirely. At the moment, unfortunately, the changes in the bootloader needed for this are somewhat not obvious, but we're working on a way to make this easier from a programmers PoV.

martinayotte

Postby martinayotte » Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:24 pm

I've almost forgot to ask here :
It would be nice to change the OTP fuses with EE fuses. Would it be possible by adding erase mechanism if security is removed ?

JoaoLopesF

Postby JoaoLopesF » Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:59 pm

I suggest a USB host feature

martinayotte

Postby martinayotte » Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:44 pm

JoaoLopesF wrote:I suggest a USB host feature
Already suggested on first page :
https://esp32.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2772#p13038

Angel J.

Postby Angel J. » Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:31 pm

- Sub 1GHz hardware (900Mhz and / or 433Mhz)
For: IIoT, smart cities, agriculture, environment, Home Automation, ...

+ WiFi-ah hardware-assisted
+ 802.15.4 hardware-assisted + software implementation for Zigbee / OpenThread / ...
+ LoRa hardware-assisted

- DSP core (Cadence Tensilica HiFi DSP HiFi 3) for
:
- IIoT (FFT vibration analysis)

- Hardware support for voice recognition
- Audio Processing: Volume / Tone / Bass Expander / 3D Effects / Room Compensation ...
- VoIP processing: compression, echo cancellation, noise cancellation, ...