ESP-WROVER-KIT E autoreset issue

malachib

ESP-WROVER-KIT E autoreset issue

Postby malachib » Tue May 10, 2022 1:48 pm

I have difficulty running idf.py flash monitor - I run into the following problem:

I get this error on machine A all the time, on machine B if it's on the USB hub:

Code: Select all

“Failed to connect to Espressif device: Wrong boot mode detected (0x1e)! The chip needs to be in download mode.”
In this case I have to hold down the boot button during flash. There seems to be a correlation where the JTAG is flaky also when this happens.

On machine B there's one USB port where the device works perfectly (including JTAG) and autoreset and programming work smoothly.

malachib

Re: ESP-WROVER-KIT E autoreset issue

Postby malachib » Sun May 15, 2022 10:37 pm

The solution to this problem for me was reconfiguring my Virtual Machine's virtual USB hub to be USB 3.0. It defaulted to 2.0. Physical host machine is 3.x.

Discovered also that, as others have observed, the USB cable you use is VERY important. I was getting a lot of timeout errors.

For me it was a connector thing.

With my workhorse USB test cable, the micro connector doesn't exactly sit right in the devkit, though I didn't notice this for days since it was so subtle. The cable works on every other device I have - including Lolin D1 style ESP32 boards.

tosemusername

Re: ESP-WROVER-KIT E autoreset issue

Postby tosemusername » Fri Mar 10, 2023 6:23 pm

Interesting. Just had the same problem, no virtual machine or anything, though, and switching to a USB3 port did it for me. Still looks like a bug, though.