Espressif IDE taking too long to build

Venky555

Espressif IDE taking too long to build

Postby Venky555 » Mon Feb 06, 2023 6:24 am

I am trying to build the default project provided in IDF on my windows laptop. Building the project is taking too long >1hr. Please help me with any possible solution to reduce this time or any configuration changes or tools to be installed.

mbratch

Re: Espressif IDE taking too long to build

Postby mbratch » Tue Feb 07, 2023 2:08 am

(removed redundant post)
Last edited by mbratch on Tue Feb 07, 2023 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

mbratch

Postby mbratch » Tue Feb 07, 2023 2:09 am

An hour does seem excessive. What kind of PC and OS are you using? The first time building a project it does have to build a whole bunch of standard ESP-IDF components, but that shouldn't take an hour. Do you have any other build environments that are comparable and are they much faster?

On my feeble Lenovo Ideapad (i3 process) it takes only several minutes to build a project from a full clean state.

ESP_Roland

Postby ESP_Roland » Tue Feb 07, 2023 6:12 am

The usual root cause in these cases is the antivirus SW or Windows defender. If you use the Windows tools installer then it will help set the rules for such SW. You can do it manually if you like (add exception to the antivirus SW).

Venky555

Postby Venky555 » Wed Feb 08, 2023 8:44 am

mbratch wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2023 2:09 am
An hour does seem excessive. What kind of PC and OS are you using? The first time building a project it does have to build a whole bunch of standard ESP-IDF components, but that shouldn't take an hour. Do you have any other build environments that are comparable and are they much faster?

On my feeble Lenovo Ideapad (i3 process) it takes only several minutes to build a project from a full clean state.
I am using Dell Inspiron with Intel i9 9th Gen with Windows 10 OS.
Here is the build log that I am attaching which has taken ~66min and even this is not full clean build.
https_mbdedtls_build.txt
(1.29 MiB) Downloaded 100 times
I do not have any other build environments specific to espressif, but other platforms with other IDE's I am able to build within a few seconds only.