What does WROOM or WROVER means?

daiki.watanabe

What does WROOM or WROVER means?

Postby daiki.watanabe » Fri Jun 02, 2023 6:01 am

Hi there,

I couldn't find the meaning of the English words 'WROOM' and 'WROVER' (and following: 'MINI', 'SOLO', 'PICO', 'DU') in ESP32 module names. I tried searching through various resources but couldn't find any relevant documents. :roll:

Could someone please help me understand their meanings? Is there some naming convention documents?

- https://www.espressif.com/en/products/modules
- https://docs.espressif.com/projects/esp ... ea=default

Rob Post

Re: What does WROOM or WROVER means?

Postby Rob Post » Mon Jun 05, 2023 11:32 am

WROOM and WROVER are product designations used by Espressif Systems, a semiconductor company known for its system-on-chip (SoC) solutions for the Internet of Things (IoT). These designations specifically refer to modules that incorporate Espressif's Wi-Fi and Bluetooth-enabled SoCs.

Here's what each designation represents:

WROOM: WROOM stands for "Wireless Room" and refers to a compact module that integrates Espressif's Wi-Fi and Bluetooth SoC. These modules are designed to provide wireless connectivity capabilities to various IoT devices. They typically come in small form factors, making them suitable for applications where space is limited.

WROVER: WROVER stands for "Wireless Room with RAM Overlay." Similar to WROOM, it includes Wi-Fi and Bluetooth functionality. However, WROVER modules also feature additional external RAM, which provides expanded memory capabilities compared to WROOM modules. This extra RAM allows for more complex applications or larger data storage requirements.

Both WROOM and WROVER modules are widely used in the development of IoT devices, offering a convenient way for developers to add wireless connectivity to their projects without needing to design the wireless subsystem from scratch.

ESP_Sprite

Postby ESP_Sprite » Mon Jun 05, 2023 2:28 pm

Rob Post wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 11:32 am
WROOM: WROOM stands for "Wireless Room" and refers to a compact module that integrates Espressif's Wi-Fi and Bluetooth SoC.
Source? That sounds like bullshit ChatGPT hallucinated.

Rob Post

Postby Rob Post » Tue Jun 06, 2023 4:38 am

Yes, this is what ChatGPT came up with and it didn't sound al that weird to me.
Looking at your comment you apparently have the correct answer at hand.
So why not share it?

daiki.watanabe

Postby daiki.watanabe » Tue Jun 06, 2023 8:30 am

Thank you very much for your answers.
The ChatGPT answer certainly looks good for me, but if someone has source links, I would like to know them. Thanks alot!

ESP_Sprite

Postby ESP_Sprite » Tue Jun 06, 2023 1:59 pm

Rob Post wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2023 4:38 am
Yes, this is what ChatGPT came up with and it didn't sound al that weird to me.
Looking at your comment you apparently have the correct answer at hand.
So why not share it?
I don't (up to the point I'm not sure if anyone in Espressif knows, see also the undefined meaning of H and V in HSPI and VSPI), but I can spot a ChatGPT hallucination when I see one. Please don't copy/paste from ChatGPT here if you cannot verify the answer is actually correct.

Rob Post

Postby Rob Post » Wed Jun 07, 2023 7:48 pm

Ok, sounds to make sense, thx!

FloridaMan

Postby FloridaMan » Sat Dec 02, 2023 7:38 pm

ESP_Sprite wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 2:28 pm
Rob Post wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 11:32 am
WROOM: WROOM stands for "Wireless Room" and refers to a compact module that integrates Espressif's Wi-Fi and Bluetooth SoC.
Source? That sounds like bullshit ChatGPT hallucinated.
That made me bust out laughing enough to sign in and tell you.