Multiple versions of ESP-IDF are possible?

jwalkerbg

Multiple versions of ESP-IDF are possible?

Postby jwalkerbg » Tue Aug 15, 2023 1:42 pm

Hi,

Is it possible to have multiple installed versions of ESP-IDF par example 5.0.2, 5.1, and to have projects some of them using 5.0.2, and others using 5.1?

The environment is MS VS Code. Is it possible every project to know which version of ESP-IDF use and when opening it in VS Code all settings (paths, environment) to be set right way so as nothing to be changed in VS Code at global level.

If possible how this is done?

Ivan

username

Re: Multiple versions of ESP-IDF are possible?

Postby username » Wed Aug 16, 2023 2:16 am

What you want is VSCode portable.
Go here: https://code.visualstudio.com/download#
Grab the .zip for your computer.

What I have done is this.
Create a folder ESP_5.1, then create a folder inside there named VSCPortable. Unzip the VSCodeportable to this folder. You also need to add another folder named " data " inside VSCPortable folder as this will store the settings for VSCPortable.
Under ESP_5.1 I create another folder named Projects. This is where I save all my projects at, so as not to get confused when I use say ESP IDF 4.4.1.

When you open VSPortable and add the Espressif extension, it will ask you if you want to install IDF, choose custom and select the ESP_5.1 folder for it to install esp & .espressif.

Probably clear as mud, But ya, basically I have 2 folders ESP_5.1 and ESP 4.4.1 and can use either without changing a thing.
Screenshot 2023-08-15 211151.jpg
Screenshot 2023-08-15 211151.jpg (24.45 KiB) Viewed 1286 times

boarchuz

Postby boarchuz » Wed Aug 16, 2023 3:50 am

I've got in the habit of adding ESP-IDF as a git submodule to every project. There are a lot of advantages, and it only takes a few seconds to set up a new project once you're used to it. I have a template project with git intialised and IDF added, but no commits yet, copy the directory and rename it, "Configure ESP-IDF Extension" within the new directory being sure to update paths and only save settings to the workspace, and I'm off to the races. The only downside is disk space, if that's a concern.

jwalkerbg

Postby jwalkerbg » Thu Aug 17, 2023 2:07 pm

It seems that there are no systematic solution of this problem... thank you for the answers.