What files are required for flashin

rwel59

What files are required for flashin

Postby rwel59 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:57 pm

I need to send files to a colleague so that they can update their ESP32. They are not working on the software so do not currently have any development environment setup.

Could someone please give me some insight on what files (compiled) I need to send and what the easiest method (or minimum setup) for them to flash the files.

ESP_Angus

Re: What files are required for flashin

Postby ESP_Angus » Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:14 am

Are you using ESP-IDF? If so then the output from a successful build ("make") includes the command line to flash the device with esptool.py. You can send them this command line along with all of the .bin files mentioned there.

rwel59

Postby rwel59 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:33 pm

I am using Eclipse with ESPIDF (and linux which is new for me also). I do not have any previous experience with Eclipse so a bit lost here.

The only place I can find bin files is the \build root directory. The only files here are app-template.bin, app-template.map, app-template.elf and partitions_singleapp.bin

Are these the files I'm looking for? I had assumed I would find something related to the project name. Didn't see anything related to esptool.py

ESP_Sprite

Postby ESP_Sprite » Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:37 pm

Those are the files you need indeed. (And the project name is set in the main Makefile in the root of your project; I think you did not change it when you copied the app template hence your main binary is called app-template.bin.) If you run 'make' without anything else in the project directory (and your environment is set correctly) it should give you the esptool.py command line as one of the last lines of the build process.

rwel59

Postby rwel59 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:44 pm

hadn't touched makefile after creating. followed your instructions and got everything I needed including updated bin file names.

thanks for the help