ESP32 audio output

megabite

ESP32 audio output

Postby megabite » Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:02 pm

Hello,

I'm new on this forum and would like some info on ESP32 boards that I haven't been able to gather conclusively from the specs of most boards.

For an in-car trip computer project, I would like to use an ESP32 board to display (animated) menus on a small TFT screen in the dashboard. Haven't bought one yet though.

Ideally, I would like to be able to play sounds as well, for example when my trip computer shows a "low fuel" or "high oil temperature" warning.

Do ESP32 WROOM boards or similar have the capability to connect a subminiature speaker straight to the board and play sounds? Or what other hardware is needed to make that happen?

Cheers,

megabite

ESP_Sprite

Re: ESP32 audio output

Postby ESP_Sprite » Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:08 am

The ESP32 has a built-in 8-bit DAC; if you don't mind the not-really-HiFi quality of that you should be able to get away with an audio amp connected to this. Alternatively, for better sound quality, you can use an external I2S codec and amp.

megabite

Re: ESP32 audio output

Postby megabite » Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:31 pm

My initial idea was to just have a 0.6'' 0.8W subminiature speaker mounted to it. Which should be fine playing 8-bit sound samples.

Then again, as I've seen on the web, there are I2S amps that can drive a somewhat bigger speaker.

If I connect an amp like this one to my ESP32,

https://www.adafruit.com/product/3006

then what could I drive with it? Could I even hook it up to the car's own sound system speakers, or would that damage the amp as the speakers normally run on 12V coming from the radio?