Amazon FreeRTOS

jack.ban

Amazon FreeRTOS

Postby jack.ban » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:40 pm

Hi,

Is there any plan to make ESP32 officially supported with Amazon FreeRTOS?

Thanks,
Jack

ESP_Sprite

Re: Amazon FreeRTOS

Postby ESP_Sprite » Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:59 am

We heard the announcement when you did, so we haven't been able to make any thorough plans. We do have a plan to make the ESP32 compatible with the Amazon SDK somehow, but no concrete details to the way we're going to implement that are available yet.

p-rimes

Postby p-rimes » Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:14 pm

On a related note, it appears the new (stock, non-Amazon-specific) FreeRTOS 10.x has some really cool new features, and falls under the MIT license (instead of the previous LGPL).

ESP_Sprite

Postby ESP_Sprite » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:44 am

Anything specific you'd like to see pop up in esp-idf?

p-rimes

Postby p-rimes » Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:14 pm

I must say, I think the new StreamBuffer data structures seem awesome. I know that esp-idf has DMA chaining using FreeRTOS queues already done, but I imagine that StreamBuffer would be the (new) standard way to do that. It seems like a slightly more raw way to receive bytes directly into a task from an ISR (e.g. the PCM stream from the I2S).
https://freertos.org/RTOS-stream-message-buffers.html

Personally, I'm hoping that with AWS behind FreeRTOS there will soon be a bunch of new libraries (and a large developer ecosystem of new devs) built for it. And since I think they will all be starting with AWS FreeRTOS 10.x, then my biggest hope is that ESP32 will be able to benefit from it (e.g. re-using the libraries for ESP32). So in a way, I'm actually most interested in a good interop story between AWS FreeRTOS libraries and esp-idf. First-class support would obviously be great -- doesn't AWS want this too? -- but even backports onto old FreeRTOS or a shim between the AWS layers and esp-idf would be helpful.

I think AWS provides their own secure_sockets layer (they do not use lwIP), but it does seem they provide an interface to implement for other boards.
https://github.com/aws/amazon-freertos/ ... _sockets.c

ESP_Sprite

Postby ESP_Sprite » Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:31 am

Actually, as far as I can see, stream buffers are not much more than queues but with variable element size support. We have that in esp-idf as ringbuffers (components/FreeRTOS/ringbuf.c), and it does a few more things than that (e.g. zero-copy receiving of data).

We indeed are looking into seeing how esp-idf / esp32 can benefit from this new development; we're still looking into the details on how to exactly implement this, however.

hassan789

Postby hassan789 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:40 pm

added a pull-request to esp-idf for message buffers, if anyone is specifically interested:
https://github.com/espressif/esp-idf/pull/1447

benpye

Postby benpye » Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:20 pm

Does esp-idf rely on any of the additions you have made to FreeRTOS or should it be possible to add Xtensa support to FreeRTOS 10 and run the existing Wifi/BT stacks? Are the APIs required by the wifi/bt stacks specified anywhere or would it be best to look at the imports on the binaries?