SRAM and FLASH memory considerations on replicating ESP32 WROOVER-E on bare PCB

Vilius

SRAM and FLASH memory considerations on replicating ESP32 WROOVER-E on bare PCB

Postby Vilius » Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:34 pm

Hi,

I am doing a project where I want to build and ESP32 WROOVER-E on my custom PCB (I wont be using RF communication, so avoiding ESP SoC brings me a lot of benefits.) I have examined various datasheets and documentation papers, however, I am still not sure about the memory ICs of ESP32. I have delided one ESP32-WROOVER-E module for reverse engineering purposes (Picture 4). The exact SRAM and FLASH memory chips I found there are not in retail at Mouser or Digikey.

Do I have to use exact same MPN ICs as those under the shield or I can choose another memory IC? What is the maximum memory limit that ESP32 supports for both FLASH and SRAM? I want my custom PCB to be directly interchangeable for bot memory chips in the ESP part (I am building the exact same circuit as in picture 2.) Can you recommend any widely available chip MPNs?

Is there any factory configuration sequence between the memory ICs and ESP32 that could prevent my idea from working? I was thinking that there might be some kind of unique chip ID hardcoded into some IC that requires some kind of handshake etc. (solely my imagination here...) So is there anything else I am missing out, or it is indeed intended to work like this: you just swap the memory ICs to corresponding alternatives and continue to the programming via ESP-IDF?

Thank you in advance
Attachments
4.jpg
4.jpg (2.26 MiB) Viewed 517 times
2.png
2.png (126.37 KiB) Viewed 517 times
1.png
1.png (68.22 KiB) Viewed 517 times

ESP_Sprite

Re: SRAM and FLASH memory considerations on replicating ESP32 WROOVER-E on bare PCB

Postby ESP_Sprite » Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:21 am

Vilius wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:34 pm
You just swap the memory ICs to corresponding alternatives and continue to the programming via ESP-IDF?
Yes. There is no 'mating' between the ESP32 and flash chips.