Happy Holidays! (W/ binary for your ESP32!)

Sergionn

Re: Happy Holidays! (W/ binary for your ESP32!)

Postby Sergionn » Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:40 pm

Esp_Sprite, thanks for quick your answer! But as soon as possible, we have to make a decision about using esp32 in our project - and composite out in ntsc format is on of the feature we need to have in it (for output lowres color video on 7" LCD old style screens) , so we thinking to move to other board (raspberry pi zero w). But we like esp32!
If it not possible to post sources here for now, maybe it would be possible to send lines of codes with tricks at my. I will be very grateful for that!

siliconhippy

PAL to AV. Re: Happy Holidays! (W/ binary for your ESP32!)

Postby siliconhippy » Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:42 am

Hi there!

Neat project :lol:

Question: Can you receive Kinux Kodi stream input via USB2 port or WiFi?

What would the setup be? Any DLNA/UPnP client required on ESP32 (can one be created)?

Cheers from Toronto !

ESP_Sprite

Postby ESP_Sprite » Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:59 am

No, not a chance. The ESP32 doesn't have the memory to even store one frame of non-static image in RAM, let alone decode it,

siliconhippy

Postby siliconhippy » Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:38 am

So there is no way to video streaming Kodi to a PAL TV via ESP32?

ESP_Sprite

Postby ESP_Sprite » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:22 am

siliconhippy wrote:So there is no way to video streaming Kodi to a PAL TV via ESP32?
Maybe in a 'trivial' way where streaming data directly via WiFi to get a choppy, low-res pal 'video' counts as technically streaming video. In an "I'd like to relax on the couch and watch a movie on that" sense: no, no way.

siliconhippy

Postby siliconhippy » Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:08 pm

Thanks for the prompt replies.

Curious:

1. So what kind of input streams to WiFi/USB2 on ESP32 are we talking about for full color PAL AV display?
I am assuming that the res is about 580p, 30fps max.

2. Given your reply about choppy quality over WiFi, is it WiFi input or the fact of missing DLNA UPnP interface?

That is, what is the difference between "direct" WiFi or USB2 Kodi video streaming vs via DLNA/UPnP (or SAMBA which likely has buffering issues)?

My confusion:

Kodi (and other media player) output should be in TS mpeg4 format.

So this then goes to onboard HDMI or AV ports ( eg on an Android Box) to be converted into digital AV (HDMI port) or analog AV via DAC ( AV port), without any DLNA UPnP packaging. Am I right?

If yes, why should an external HDMI port (eg wifi HDMI dongle on TV set) or an AV port via WiFi or USB2 need DLNA UPnP for "better" quality?

ESP_Sprite

Postby ESP_Sprite » Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:29 am

None of the above. I'm not even talking about decoding image data or protocols or whatever yet. The ESP32 just does not have the RAM to receive a full frame of PAL video from anywhere, be it DLNA, direct WiFi or USB2 (which the ESP32 doesn't even have). Your question is more or less the equivalent of asking why you cannot light up a 220V 100W lamp by connecting it directly to a single AA-battery, and you're wondering if it would work if the lamp was halogen instead of tungsten.

siliconhippy

Postby siliconhippy » Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:18 pm

This confuses me...

So what does it mean to say the esp32 can output a full color PAL to AV port?

What is the input format / source here? How does the esp32 receive this input?

fly135

Postby fly135 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:38 pm

siliconhippy wrote:This confuses me...

So what does it mean to say the esp32 can output a full color PAL to AV port?

What is the input format / source here? How does the esp32 receive this input?
He's saying that the project listed here is a simple construction of a video signal that is nothing like how video signals are normally constructed. There is no decoding of a compressed video stream. There is no way to construct a fully functioning video device for TV movies. It's like a trick.

siliconhippy

Postby siliconhippy » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:14 pm

Thanks for the clarification ! :roll:

I am wondering if the onion.io Omega2 device, running OpenWrt, with MT7688 580 MHz CPU, WiFi, 16MB flash/64 MB RAM with USB2 port (and possibly Ethernet with $1 magnetics) at $7.50 is a better deal than ESP32 at $5-6 ?