Esp32 Wifi Long Range Mode

louisthetall

Esp32 Wifi Long Range Mode

Postby louisthetall » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:00 pm

I am currently testing the Long Range wifi mode on the esp32 device and I was wondering what other people have discovered about it.

With some preliminary tests that I have run, I set up two pairs of esp32 devices, one using the long range (LR) wifi protocol and the other using the default protocol. I print out the wifi signal strength (RSSI) every 5 seconds and compare the results of the two protocols.
For these tests, I don't have a direct line of sight between the two devices, but both pairs are being tested under the same conditions.

At the same distances, I am seeing a consistent power drop in the LR devices. For example, the signal strength of the default mode pair may be hovering around -64db and the LR mode pair with the same distance between devices will have a signal strength or -73db.

Has anyone else done any work with the long range mode? Is the power drop to be expected?

In my application, the two devices connected over wifi are not separated by a very big distance, but instead have lot of metal machinery between them. Would the LR mode provide a better signal in this case or are its benefits only seen when used at long distances?

rudi ;-)

Re: Esp32 Wifi Long Range Mode

Postby rudi ;-) » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:23 pm

hi
happy new year.

can i ask you which esp32 boards you have used for this test?
do you use ipx/extern antenna or pcb antenna?

best wishes
rudi ;-)
-------------------------------------
love it, change it or leave it.
-------------------------------------
問候飛出去的朋友遍全球魯迪

ESP_Sprite

Postby ESP_Sprite » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:04 am

FYI, one of the changes that the LR-mode has is to use a different modulation scheme. I don't exactly know how the RSSI is calculated when LR mode is enabled, but one of the effects could actually be that you can still receive data even at RSSIs where normal WiFi modulation schemes would fail.

louisthetall

Postby louisthetall » Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:42 pm

can i ask you which esp32 boards you have used for this test?
do you use ipx/extern antenna or pcb antenna?
I am using the ESP-WROOM-32 with no external antennas
FYI, one of the changes that the LR-mode has is to use a different modulation scheme. I don't exactly know how the RSSI is calculated when LR mode is enabled, but one of the effects could actually be that you can still receive data even at RSSIs where normal WiFi modulation schemes would fail.
I believe I was seeing something to this effect. At the very limits of the range, I would sometimes still be getting an RSSI value but the device would still show that it was disconnected

Valerii

Postby Valerii » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:49 pm

Hi all, I've just started with ESP32 and trying to establish LR link based on WROOM-32 modules with modified esp-idf firmware.
I just set up AP with LR protocol on one module and Wifi Scanner from example. I do not see the AP at scanned list. I expect to see my LR AP with

Code: Select all

.phy_lr == 1 
in

Code: Select all

wifi_ap_record_t
struct.
What could be the problem?

perryc

Postby perryc » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:29 pm

We've been using a pair of esp-woom-32 based pcb's to test performance in "Long Range WiFi" relative to standard WiFi mode and find both start to drop packets at -90dBm and no increase range before the connection drops with "Long Range" mode. Sure like to hear from anyone getting "long range" mode to actually deliver any meaningful increase in range.

Perry

WiFive

Postby WiFive » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:47 pm

I agree, all I have seen is similar range and lower throughput.