am I running out of heap?

mzimmers

am I running out of heap?

Postby mzimmers » Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:52 pm

Hi -

I've got an app that is producing this error message:
assertion "next > (intptr_t)block" failed: file "C:/esp-idf-release-v3.2/components/heap/multi_heap.c", line 124, function: get_next_block
abort() was called at PC 0x400db10f on core 0
0x400db10f: __assert_func at /Users/ivan/e/newlib_xtensa-2.2.0-bin/newlib_xtensa-2.2.0/xtensa-esp32-elf/newlib/libc/stdlib/../../../.././new
lib/libc/stdlib/assert.c:63 (discriminator 8)
Followed by a bunch of other stuff.

Does this mean that I'm running out of heap? If so, what are my options?

Thanks...

fly135

Re: am I running out of heap?

Postby fly135 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:33 pm

You can potentially free up memory if you aren't using Bt classic, or memory if you aren't using Bt BLE. Separately or both.

For both...
esp_bt_controller_mem_release(ESP_BT_MODE_BTDM);

https://esp-idf.readthedocs.io/en/lates ... _bt_mode_t

mzimmers

Postby mzimmers » Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:45 pm

So, do you agree that it seems like I'm running out of memory?

Bluetooth isn't enabled in my make sdkconfig file. Is calling this routine really going to help in this case?

If I do call esp_bt_controller_mem_release(ESP_BT_MODE_BTDM), do I need to call esp_bt_controller_deinit() first?

Thanks...

mzimmers

Postby mzimmers » Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:16 pm

I made this call:

Code: Select all

uint freeRAM = heap_caps_get_free_size(MALLOC_CAP_INTERNAL);
    ESP_LOGI(TAG, "free RAM is %d.", freeRAM);
very near the point of the crash; it said I have over 229K remaining. So, I guess this probably isn't a memory shortage after all, unless there's some artificial limit imposed on my program (or one of my tasks).

Any other ideas why this isn't working correctly?

fly135

Postby fly135 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:44 pm

I'm not agreeing it's a memory issue. But if you need to free mem. Could be heap corruption.

My app checks the heap for corruption every 10 minutes.

if ( !heap_caps_check_integrity_all(true) )
{
ledSetAnimation(ANIMATION_SPIN,COLOR(255,0,0,0),0,0);
evtApiSend(EVT_ERR_HEAP_CORRUPT,0);
}

mzimmers

Postby mzimmers » Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:07 pm

Yeah, I've decided that this problem is almost definitely NOT caused by running out of memory. Thanks for the pointers, fly. I'm going to abandon this topic and start one with a refocused subject.

mzimmers

Postby mzimmers » Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:19 pm

Actually, this topic still has some life left in it. On a lark, I decided to use the heap test that fly gave me. Got this:
CORRUPT HEAP: Block 0x3a313638 is before prev block 0x3ffd4c48
So...I'm now in an area about which I know very little. Does heap corruption occur because of application-space programming errors, or is this more likely to be some kind of system configuration issue?

Thanks...

fly135

Postby fly135 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:29 pm

Heap corruption typically is caused by invalid pointers or writing to some allocated memory and exceeding the bounds of your allocation. Allocated memory typically has not only the mem you requested but also a block of mem that is used to manage the heap. So just writing one byte past the end of your allocation can corrupt the heap.

John A

ESP_Angus

Postby ESP_Angus » Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:05 am

Agree this is almost certainly heap corruption.

You can read about heap corruption and some more tools that can be used for debugging it, here:
https://docs.espressif.com/projects/esp ... debug.html

mzimmers

Postby mzimmers » Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:30 am

Hi Angus - yeah, I think that's a given. I'll need to learn more about the various tools available for hunting this down, but two things make me wonder:

1. I recently moved to v3.2 of the IDF. I'm not sure I did this entirely correctly. First I tried doing an unzip, but somewhere along the line I got an error message telling me that I had to install via git, so I attempted to do so. It's very possible that I made a mistake using git. Is there some consistency check I can perform to tell me whether my IDF install is OK?

2. I have several tasks running, which communicate through a data structure that contains pointers to each object in the tasks. Each task makes liberal use of routines in other task's primary object. (I can provide an example of this tomorrow.) Am I correct in assuming that all tasks share a common address space? (If not, I don't see how one task could overrun another task's heap.) I think my approach is valid, but I've never done it this way before, so I'm somewhat wary.