NuttX question

ArcsinX

NuttX question

Postby ArcsinX » Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:42 pm

I am trying to build adn run nuttx for esp32 (ESP-WROOM-32)

I am using xtensa-esp32-elf compiler (https://dl.espressif.com/dl/xtensa-esp3 ... -59.tar.gz)
So, my building process looks as follows:

$ cd tools
$ ./configure.sh esp32-core/nsh
$ . ./setenv.sh
$ make menuconfig
Here is the first question. What values should I set for System Type -> UART Configuration -> UART0 Tx Pin / UART0 Rx Pin ?
ESP-WROOM-32 datasheet says, that pins are 35 (U0TXD) and 34 (U0RXD), but with theese values I do not see anything after bootloader info output.
$ make
$ esptool.py --chip esp32 elf2image --flash_mode dio --flash_size 2MB -o ./nuttx0.bin nuttx
$ esptool.py --chip esp32 write_flash 0x1000 ../myapp/build/bootloader/bootloader.bin 0x4000 ../myapp/build/partitions_singleapp.bin 0x10000 nuttx0.bin

bootloader and partitions_singleapp I build as a part of sample application with using esp-idf (https://github.com/espressif/esp-idf.git)

At load I see olny bootloader output and nothing more after it (but I expect nsh shell).

What am I doing wrong? I tried different values for UART0 Tx Pin / UART0 Rx Pin ( (gpio numbers insted of pin numbers, pin/gpio numbers counting from 0, etc) but without success.

kolban

Re: NuttX question

Postby kolban » Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:43 pm

Have you had the opportunity to build a simple "hello world" application in C using the ESP-IDF framework? If not, I'd suggest you have a play with that first to get your feet wet in building and running a simple application and seeing the console output.
Free book on ESP32 available here: https://leanpub.com/kolban-ESP32

ArcsinX

Postby ArcsinX » Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:53 am

kolban wrote:Have you had the opportunity to build a simple "hello world" application in C using the ESP-IDF framework? If not, I'd suggest you have a play with that first to get your feet wet in building and running a simple application and seeing the console output.
I already build some applications using ESP-IDF (to check that WIFI works ok for my purposes) and output is Ok.

ESP_Angus

Postby ESP_Angus » Wed Dec 14, 2016 6:22 am

Hi ArcSinX,

I'm not sure that the UART driver is working correctly in nuttx right now. There's a thread on the nuttx mailing list that you might want to join, if you're not there already:
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/nuttx/

Angus

patacongo

Postby patacongo » Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:01 pm

There are a couple of issues with the UART output for now. Also some issues with clocking But there are also a simple work-arounds available for preliminary testing. The exact steps that I use for testing are described in the ESP32 Core v2 README.txt file at configs/esp32-core/README.txt.

Native NuttX control of clocking is pending the release of some code from Expressif. I don't plan to revisit UART issues until clocking logic is first in place. That is horse that needed before the cart.

Greg

Beck-Sisyphus

Postby Beck-Sisyphus » Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:33 am

I am excited to see that esp32 is natively supported on board-specific level for NuttX RTOS. Although it seems outside the scope of this forum, but may I know how to get started on writing the configs for an custom board with an unsupported MCU? I am using STM32F427II and wish to burn a NuttX RTOS.

Thanks,

Beck

Beck-Sisyphus

Postby Beck-Sisyphus » Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:41 am

With pixracer (hardware for pixhawk v4) officially support esp8266, and esp32 support NuttX... Is Espressif considering making an custom pixhawk flight controller? Just throwing ideas.

Best,

Beck