console input through UART port

wziy520

console input through UART port

Postby wziy520 » Fri Dec 16, 2016 4:11 pm

Does ESP plan implement CONSOLE input through UART port?
it if implemented, it will be more easy for user develop project and configure the wifi module.

kolban

Re: console input through UART port

Postby kolban » Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:35 pm

The ESP32 can run arbitrary applications written to use the ESP-IDF framework. This is a C language environment in which you can develop a variety of different programs. Included in this framework are rich UART libraries that allow an application to both write to and read from the UART. There is nothing to prevent a programmer from creating such an application to which a terminal could be attached. However, the data sent from the terminal would have to be processed by the application which would also be responsible for its processing.

So let me pass the question back to you, if I may, since the ESP32 from Espressif comes with no substantive application pre-installed, what "commands" would you like to send to a program (should it be written) that would then be interpreted by it? I don't think the underlying question is "can an ESP32 application read UART as input" ... but rather "what application might we install that would sensibly read UART as input?".
Free book on ESP32 available here: https://leanpub.com/kolban-ESP32

WiFive

Postby WiFive » Sat Dec 17, 2016 5:32 am

If you are talking about AT commands, maybe there will be a port of esp8266 AT firmware, source is on github. If you are looking for more user friendly option maybe look at micropython firmware from pycom.

wziy520

Postby wziy520 » Sat Dec 17, 2016 2:57 pm

I have touch && listen other WiFi modules, like WICED, QCA, Marvel, wifi chip inside module, all both have command console,
they don't need user application handle what UART received, there are table of example define what string input will handle the special function, almost the same as AT command example for 8266.

I am a new guy just begin study esp32 after get the module 1 month ago in spare time. I am not Have enough confidence I have ability porting AT example, I think maybe many people need this function, and if common request, Maybe it can be a part of SDK component.

rudi ;-)

Postby rudi ;-) » Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:50 am

hi

esp32-at now on github.
https://github.com/espressif/esp32-at

perhabs this is what you are looking for and you have a try with this.

the docu is here

best wishes
rudi ;-)
-------------------------------------
love it, change it or leave it.
-------------------------------------
問候飛出去的朋友遍全球魯迪