any way to permanently disable the wifi?

joeynoodles

any way to permanently disable the wifi?

Postby joeynoodles » Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:05 pm

Is there any way to permanently disable the wifi on the ESP32? I've had a few projects working well with the ESP32, so I'd like to keep using it, but for certain projects for security concerns I'd like to disable the wifi so that there's no way to turn it back on ever. Is this possible?

fly135

Re: any way to permanently disable the wifi?

Postby fly135 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:18 pm

Wifi is disabled by default. You have to enable it. There are security measures you can take to prevent anyone else from programming your device. Maybe that's what you need to consider looking at.

John A

joeynoodles

Postby joeynoodles » Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:33 pm

Thanks guys. I was wondering though if there's a hardware change, or anything that results in no turning back, for disabling the wifi. The software may eventually require upgrading, so I'm not thinking about pursuing a way permanently disabling programming altogether right now. Thanks for suggesting though.

fly135

Postby fly135 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:41 pm

My brief statement did not mean to imply that you couldn't update the firmware. Simply that there are measures that prevent others from modifying or reverse engineering the data/software on your device. That is what the company I work for intends to do before production. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong here, but as I understand it the ESP32 has the ability to decrypt data and code from flash in realtime as it's executed.

John A