Whether the wifi-lib contains wifi-p2p mode?

EuroSolutions GmbH

Re: Whether the wifi-lib contains wifi-p2p mode?

Postby EuroSolutions GmbH » Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:55 am

Thank You for pointing the correct channel, we will be contacting you asap :)

Don David

Postby Don David » Fri May 19, 2017 8:33 am

Hi All,

We have purchased ESP32 , as our project specifically requires P2P mode. But after loading the AT firmware and lot of procedures, we found that the P2P mode is not currently supported .Can you tell when this will be supported.Is there any AT command to enable P2P mode.

if P2P mode gets working we can order >10000 ESP32 modules

Please reply

Don David

anurag@oakter.com

Postby anurag@oakter.com » Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:48 am

Why does the product datasheet specify P2pP (WiFi Direct) if it is not yet supported ?? When is it expected to be introduced ??

gdyshi

Postby gdyshi » Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:52 am

We also need to use ESP32 by Wi-Fi Direct mode. Please improve this demand priority, because a lot of people need :)

dpletche

Postby dpletche » Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:43 am

I encourage you to implement WiFi direct. I believe that this is an important feature to facilitate WiFi communication between Android phones and ESP32 devices.

I collect sensor data at about 2K/sec, then filter and download it to my Android phone once per day. I've been doing this with an nRF52832; the Bluetooth throughput is excruciatingly slow and I'm excited about using faster WiFi instead. WiFi direct is the most straightforward networking solution for intermittent interaction between my Android phone and my ESP32 devices. Otherwise I have to repeatedly break my phone's WiFi connection, which is used to relay processed data up to a server, and the implementation becomes very contrived and awkward.

It's my sense that WiFi direct is the natural way for IoT devices to interact intermittently with Android phones--for example, with an Android app that acts as a remote control for the ESP32-based application device. Although the Android WiFi direct API supports interaction with legacy devices, the network topology is backwards and cumbersome: the phone functions as a soft AP, and the ESP32 device must act as a client. That arrangement is messy and hard to provision; the ESP32 has to be configured with a list of target phones, rather than programming phones to know about IoT peripheral devices. That also makes it impractical for the ESP32 to communicate with more than one peer Android phone at the same time.

Thank you!