Which is your general opinion about ESP32? And, how better is it compaired to ESP8266?

JulioRangel

Which is your general opinion about ESP32? And, how better is it compaired to ESP8266?

Postby JulioRangel » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:00 pm

Hi folks,

I'm about to choose a module to transmit data from a sensor via wifi. I just saw that ESP32 is a step-up module to ESP8266, but is it better than the old one? What can you tell about your experience using one or another, or both?

Thank you for sharing your knowledge. Regards!

kolban

Re: Which is your general opinion about ESP32? And, how better is it compaired to ESP8266?

Postby kolban » Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:28 pm

The ESP32 and ESP8266 are different devices and one should not fall into the trap of trying to compare them. It isn't true to say that the ESP32 is a successor or a "Version 2" of the ESP8266. Both devices will be around for a long, long time. Think of both the ESP32 and ESP8266 as being distinct "off the shelf components". For any given project, you should capture the requirements of that project and normally choose the platform to suit.

However, if multiple devices can meet your needs, then you need to look at secondary (and perhaps non-functional) requirements. These would include availability, price, performance, available knowledge, maturity, development tools, supported languages, supported debugging tools, power consumption etc etc.

For a general opinion of the ESP32 ... I like it.
Free book on ESP32 available here: https://leanpub.com/kolban-ESP32