Equalizer gain valid values

warwound

Equalizer gain valid values

Postby warwound » Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:20 am

What is the range of values that are valid when setting the equalizer gain?

Code: Select all

audio_element_handle_t equalizer;

void updateEqualizer(int value_gain){
	bool is_channels_gain_equal=true;
	for(int index=0; index<10; index++){
		esp_err_t result=equalizer_set_gain_info(equalizer, index, value_gain, is_channels_gain_equal);
	}
}
I call the above function when either PLAY or SET are pressed on my LyraT v4.3, when PLAY is pressed i call:

updateEqualizer(-20);
and when SET is pressed i call:

updateEqualizer(10);
Listening with my headphones i hear no difference in audio output when either PLAY or SET are called.
Are my (test) values of -20dB and 10dB too small to be noticeable - if so then what's a reasonable value to use in order to hear a difference in the audio output?

Thanks.

houhaiyan

Re: Equalizer gain valid values

Postby houhaiyan » Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:25 am

I want to confirm as follow.
1. You set all bands gain are to -20db and -10db.
2. The volume is not becoming low from -10db gain to -20db gain.
please check from 0db to -20db and from 0db to -10db by using high volume music.
The gain minmum is usual -20 db.

warwound

Re: Equalizer gain valid values

Postby warwound » Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:27 am

Thanks for the reply.

I have updated my code so that a touching the PLAY touchpad reduces my equalizer values and touching SET increases the values.
I set a min allowed value of -20dB and a max allowed value of 0dB - limiting the values PLAY and SET can set.
For my tests i set all 20 bands of the equalizer to the same value.

My code is a modified version of the pipline_passthru example, i have a Chromecast Audio plugged into my board's AUX IN and a pair of reasonable quality headphones plugged into the LINE OUT.

I have just listened to some tracks and, to be honest, hear no difference between any equalizer values being set, whether i choose -20dB or 0dB or anything inbetween i hear no difference.
Maybe my hearing is not sharp enough?

Attached is my modified pipline_passthru code, if anyone has time to compile and test it that would be great!

Thanks.
Attachments
smart_speaker.c
(12.14 KiB) Downloaded 642 times