"wireless debug" -- how I think it works -- wifi congestion, limitations

hassan789

"wireless debug" -- how I think it works -- wifi congestion, limitations

Postby hassan789 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:43 pm

Hi, I am using mdebug_esp, "wireless debug". This is an amazing & powerful tool!
I want to use it correctly, and not have my mesh nodes doing extra transmissions.
Here is my understanding, can anyone please confirm:

Step 1. I power on Mesh; (running on channel x). Every node in mesh will listen to ESPNOW messages/commands from wrover/sniffer.
Step 2. wrover/sniffer is configured to channel x: "wifi_config -c x"
Step 3. On wrover/sniffer, I do a "log -a aa:bb:cc:dd:ee:ff". wrover will send a command to aa:bb:cc:dd:ee:ff. Next, aa:bb:cc:dd:ee:ff will start broadcasting messages over ESPNOW to everyone?
Step 4. I power off the wrover/sniffer. What happens next?

Questions:
1. Will node aa:bb:cc:dd:ee:ff continue to broadcast ESPNOW messages forever, even after wrover/sniffer is offline?
2. what if I add ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff ?
3. your documentation if "Impact on Performance", mention about "receiver". receiver = wrover/sniffer?
4. if wrover/sniffer was never powered on, any performance issues to mesh, or wifi congestion risks?

ESP_Bond

Re: "wireless debug" -- how I think it works -- wifi congestion, limitations

Postby ESP_Bond » Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:18 am

1. In the current design, the node will also send wrover / sniffer, even if worover/sniffer is offline.
Note: The node will only send packets in ESP-NOW unicast mode and will not send broadcasts.

2. If the destination address of the wover / sniffer is ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff, the packet will be sent in broadcast first. All nodes will receive this command. Then all nodes will be unicast. Send a package to wrover / sniffer.

3. ESP-NOW and MESH are both Wi-Fi packets, so if the node sends more logs to wrover / sniffer, you can dynamically modify the log level of node by wrover / sniffer.

4. Therefore, we need `log -r ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff when we do not receive logs. We will add a node connection and send errors more than 10 times to stop sending.

5. `Wireless Debugging` also includes
- Get 802.11 packets
- Determine if the device is restarting abnormally, and get the coredump information when the crash is obtained
- Get the signal strength of the mesh node. Network status
- The ability to send custom data to a node,

You can try them, if you have any questions, feel free to ask

hassan789

Postby hassan789 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:26 am

That makes sense.
Sometimes I do that that the sniffer can no longer send commands to the nodes. Anything that can to periodically reset the espnow on the node, to ensure that it is always working?

ESP_Bond

Postby ESP_Bond » Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:31 am

Under what circumstances will sniffer send failure, we hope that you can provide detailed recurring steps and complete log, if there is this problem we will fix it