ESPNOW working on a router / Acces Point?

tachin

ESPNOW working on a router / Acces Point?

Postby tachin » Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:28 pm

Hi all, I'm working in a project I need to maintain in all nodes (32x ESP32) an accurate coordinated clock between them, absolute accuracy doesn't matter, but they must match with each other to at least 1ms (or better), GPS is not possible at the location, all nodes are connected to an 802.11n AP

I have an option to send a Multicast UDP packet from master (laptop wired to AP) every N seconds but this may add some unknow/variable delay in the ecuation inherent of a 802.11 wireless network, like trasmission time, reception, the time esp32 spent from recieve the packet to make it available in the code and for sure, many others

So as per this great article, ESPNOW can low as 0.01ms for 127 bytes, pretty enough for my accuracy needs , so I would like to know if there is a way to get (buy, modify whatever) an AP to "emulate" the ESP32 master , the reason to use an AP in place of use a esp32 as master are:

- the ability to drive 32 slaves at once
- Allegedly greater stability and resistance
- More ram / resources and lowest chance? of crash
- Higher TX power and RX sensitivity

The only task of ESPNOW here will be to periodically send from master the timestamp, and nodes recieve it, for other task like data exchange i can still use WiFi due there is not need to get it fast or ordered

ESP_Sprite

Re: ESPNOW working on a router / Acces Point?

Postby ESP_Sprite » Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:40 pm

Not easily, as the access points WiFi stack should somehow allow you to send management frames. On top of that, you'd have to write something that sends out the specific management frames ESPNow expects.