ESP MESH network with 2 Access Points

wolf359

ESP MESH network with 2 Access Points

Postby wolf359 » Sat May 13, 2023 12:41 am

Espressif's implementation of mesh networks seems limited to a single Access Point for interfacing the mesh to the outside world. Is it possible to get around this restriction? Basically I'm looking to create a sort of bi-directional mesh network with two access points.

One of my projects is to install ESP32s on all the cars of a cargo train to form an extended mesh, such that a laptop in the engine car (front) and one in the caboose (rear) can be in constant communication with each other through the mesh formed by the ESPs on the cargo cars between them. In this way, the cargo cars can be changed out, rearranged, etc, still allowing the engine and caboose to communicate to each other, bi-directionally.

Is this feasible to do with an ESP32 mesh network?

Note: I've already tried setting up an ESP32 meshnet having multiple APs, but doing so causes the mesh to fragment into two networks that don't see each other. About a year ago it was mentioned that: "Due to hardware limitations, the mesh can at most connect to one AP..."

Surely there's a way...!

rsimpsonbusa

Re: ESP MESH network with 2 Access Points

Postby rsimpsonbusa » Wed Jun 07, 2023 4:21 am

There is a youtube video of the 2022 Expressif conference that kinda says something like this but in a very confusing way, at least to me. Not the best presentation ever :D but it "seems" to show 1 ESP32 that can "send" thru wifi using the STA and the AP as another STA. Check it out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCpxJN ... sifSystems

prasad.samudrala

Re: ESP MESH network with 2 Access Points

Postby prasad.samudrala » Tue Sep 19, 2023 4:47 am

ESP-Mesh-Lite can do this. https://github.com/espressif/esp-mesh-lite
Have you tried this? All nodes can communicate to each other and to external world in esp-mesh-Lite, but they have to be line powered, low power communication doesn't seems to be possible here.
All nodes are consuming more than 100mA current in mesh-lite.